rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extra ride height...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extra ride height...
    Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 21:06
Hello chaps, just wondered if anybody may have some knowledge....
I fitted a new Wilbers shock last year and I'm very happy with it,only downside is that I assumed it would have a ride height adjuster and it doesn't and I would like an extra 5mm of ride height, which is how I had the Rsvr shock on my Tuono set previously.
My question is... If I wanted to get some linkage plates made up that would give me the equivalent of an extra 5mm shock length, which dimensions on the linkage plates would need altering?
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 21:26
Originally posted by markrsvr15 markrsvr15 wrote:

You want to be higher.

The ones on eBay are 30 mm higher i think i could be wrong

I've seen those from various sellers Mark but I only want 5mm...the new shock is spot on but I have modified my rearsets as well to make them lower so that I can get my toes on the pegs easier on trackdays (I'm a lanky git) and I'd just like that extra bit of ride height back if I could but 30mm is a huge amount, I can't see that would do anything but make it completely unstable, I've never read any reports of suspension adjustment where ride height has been increased by more than a few mm, maybe a washer or two as spacers...
Shyted View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 20:27
Have a look at Tony Foals chassis and suspension on the internet.
I made a cardboard mock up of an RSV rear suspension. A triangle and three straight bits to represent the swinging arm , lower link and back shock.
Some drawing pins to hold it together and keep it solid where it needs to be.
From that little experiment you can see what you need to do and what length does what.
Nowt elaborate just try different length rods or size of mount plates and you can see the effect and therefore with a few lines,a ruler and actual sizes you could work it out.
What a pain in the ass though.
Just an idea.

I used to be uncertain , but now i'm not sure anymore
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 23:23
Originally posted by Shyted Shyted wrote:

I made a cardboard mock up of an RSV rear suspension. A triangle and three straight bits to represent the swinging arm , lower link and back shock.
From that little experiment you can see what you need to do and what length does what.
Nowt elaborate just try different length rods or size of mount plates and you can see the effect and therefore with a few lines,a ruler and actual sizes you could work it out.
Just an idea.

Cheers Ted, I will have a look at the weekend and see what I can work out, it'll be like being back at middle school all over again with my cardboard and pins and what have you, just have to make sure I don't get carried away and get the glitter out

It should help me out though because I know that a 5mm increase in shock length doesn't just equate to 5mm of ride height at the saddle, that's what's been throwing me , cheers for the tip fella, it's much appreciated .
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 06:31
You can turn the side plates which raises ride height as they are an off set triangle but it is more than 5mm and is free to try.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 09:19
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

You can turn the side plates which raises ride height as they are an off set triangle but it is more than 5mm and is free to try.

Cheers Hemi, that sounds like it's worth a go as well, might have a look at that this weekend seeing as it's looking like 3 days of rain down our way.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 09:34
Yeah same here and I have a few bits to do on mine, good job really.
Shyted View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 10:51
Originally posted by Paddedcell100 Paddedcell100 wrote:

Originally posted by Shyted Shyted wrote:

Just an idea.

Cheers Ted, I will have a look at the weekend and see what I can work out, it'll be like being back at middle school all over again with my cardboard and pins and what have you, just have to make sure I don't get carried away and get the glitter out

It should help me out though because I know that a 5mm increase in shock length doesn't just equate to 5mm of ride height at the saddle, that's what's been throwing me , cheers for the tip fella, it's much appreciated .
That's right . I put a 55 section tyre on the back of my bike and could no longer touch the floor.
So dropped the ride height on the shock by 2 mm so i still got what i wanted from fitting the 55 and could then touch the floor. 
I used to be uncertain , but now i'm not sure anymore
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic