rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it me or are they all really ugly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Careca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it me or are they all really ugly
    Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 20:59
So yesterday I found myself at a very large motorcycle dealership. It doesn't matter which one, but take it from me it was a very large one thats been there for over 25 years .
I had about 1 1/2 hours to kill. Can't be bad I thought, what better place to spend time, cup of tea in hand and hundreds of new bikes. 
Now this dealership did NOT have a many Hondas and NO Aprilias but they had pretty much everything else , all the models of  triumph, suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki's , plus  a few dukes, bmw  and the full  ktm range.  
Now I was sure that after an hour and a half I would definitely be drooling/ wanting to buy something. 
There was NOTHING whatsoever that i liked the look of and it is just my opinion but all these new bikes seem to be very ugly, actually make that f**king ugly  and the quality is absolutely sh*te. At a push and only because I was forced into taking one , I would have come out of there with last years ZX10R in white and green but that was only because my mate made me choose something. I didn't want it either really. There was absolutely nothing in there I would even remotely want.
Is is me or are most/ all new bikes ugly pigs ?
Also someone please explain things like BMW having odd headlights. I look at things like that and ask, was the designer pissed ? Whats the point of odd headlights ? Hideous IMHO I would NEVER have one no matter how well it went .
It got me thinking......there has to be a gap in the market for a good old fashioned used bike shop like we used to have 30 years ago. Somewhere for bikers who cant afford the 10K +++ price tag for a new overpriced turd. Even a 125 is £4500 +++  . No wonder youngsters don't ride bikes anymore. When I was 17 nearly everyone had a bike be it a Fs1E , SS50 , AP50.............my daughter is 18 and out of all her mates and trust me she seems to have more than a few not a single one has a bike /scooter . 
All the bike shops round here want to sell new crap for top money and it all seems to be about sales and nothing else.  You are just a numbered cash dispenser it seems. 

Shame really...............

Am I alone in my thinking or am I just an old sentimental fool living in the past ?

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 21:06
There's not many new bikes I would buy that's for sure.

Hence spending a fortune on the old mille

P.s. Be a few ride outs this year local to you with a few aprilia boys fancy it?.

I'm in orpington and work in sevenoaks .

There's a few bods local up for rides come the spring

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 21:13
Nope,I feel exactly the same,  welcome to the Old Farts Club  LOL

Nobody thinks outside the box anymore,accountants and focus groups are king now,and don't forget the emission laws requiring ever larger cans in case anyone hears an engine running.

It's the way things are now,years ago people started at the bottom,learning how to care for and fix their older machines.

These days they somehow manage to find themselves in a glass and chrome palace signing away their next few years earnings on this years flavour of transport.

As for main dealers Dead

I know of one that I wouldn't trust with a wheelbarrow,and that's not just me,there are several people on here that would say the same of them.

I pity the mugs that buy a new RSV V4 RF from them and expect some sort of service.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Peter Harris View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 21:23
I cant agree more with you Nat. I simply cant gel with bike design over the past 5 years or so. Massive car type silencers integral with the belly pan etc and that huge overhanging number plate/rear light bracket is pig ugly. Also the rear of the seats seem unnecessarily perched up high, spoiling sleek lines. First time i saw a Mille, i instantly drooled over it. Hey ho. Talking of rides in the spring, i have one planned for us lot, but I'm having a second hernia op on the 9th Feb, so that will have to wait until early April. Wink 
I'D RATHER A FULL BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME, THAN A FULL FRONTAL LABOTOMY
Careca View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Careca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 21:23
Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

P.s. Be a few ride outs this year local to you with a few aprilia boys fancy it?.

Im very much up for a ride. I wont be doing many miles if any on the  SP I bought given everything is made of unobtanium , so if you don't mind me turning up on a Jap 4 till I save up enough to buy some kind of V4 Aprilia then count me in. 

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 21:27
When all the current crop of bike come under euro 4 regs in jan 2017 expect many of them to vanish or dramatically change.
Take the Duke 959 as an example as that being a new model had to comply this year with it's ugly exhaust and gaining about 9kg in weight. Now they have to comply for regs on mechanical noise independent of exhaust and emissions are nearly half of euro 3

The fairings and casings have huge amounts of sound deadening and the exhausts have a cat the size of a house. None of that makes for pretty bikes. Doubt you will see 4 exit underseat exhausts such as the MV has or underbelly setups like the 1299 panigale anymore. In fact I have my doubts that the MV will survive the regs at all and the 1000 will get dropped or get a major revamp. Same might apply for the RSV4 which was already designated for replacement in 2014 had Ape had the resources to do so.

On that last note rumour has it that Scorze is about to get the bullet in 2016 and Ape production go to Pontedera where Paiggio's are made so maybe that is going to herald new products for Aprilia if the rumours have basis.

About the only good thing in the regs is that manufacturers have to demonstrate that all components have been tested to last a min of 20k miles except for consumables, tyres, etc.

Careca View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Careca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 21:28
Originally posted by Peter Harris Peter Harris wrote:

I cant agree more with you Nat. I simply cant gel with bike design over the past 5 years or so. Massive car type silencers integral with the belly pan etc and that huge overhanging number plate/rear light bracket is pig ugly. Also the rear of the seats seem unnecessarily perched up high, spoiling sleek lines. First time i saw a Mille, i instantly drooled over it. Hey ho. Talking of rides in the spring, i have one planned for us lot, but I'm having a second hernia op on the 9th Feb, so that will have to wait until early April. Wink 

Hi Pete...............good luck with that op. Second time round ,  means  will just have to sit it out till it heals. In the interim a good stack of bike mags and a few good mates to keep you sane and Im sure time will fly by. 
I hope you get better soon.
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 21:29
Originally posted by Careca Careca wrote:

Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

Im very much up for a ride. I wont be doing many miles if any on the  SP I bought given everything is made of unobtanium , so if you don't mind me turning up on a Jap 4 till I save up enough to buy some kind of V4 Aprilia then count me in. 

no worries you may have to let us come and drool over it though ha ha

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
RSV_Ecosse View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSV_Ecosse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 21:40
The only thing I've drooled over recently is the S1000RR and the AMG MV F4RR. Even the Panigale doesn't float my boat. I love the sound of the RSV4 and the reviews it gets are spot on, but looks wise, to me at least, it's not a winner. None of the recent crop of mainstream manufacturers bikes are IMHO.

So yeah, I must be getting old. LOL

2000RSV - Lots of carbon tat - Hopeless wobbler onboard
Careca View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Careca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 21:53
Redratbike.............you may come and drool any time you like.........

Its at HQ ATM...........so if you are anywhere near that .................its there.
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 21:56
I have to agree. I think the pre big bang R1's, RSV Gen2 were the sweetest lookers but not much since. 999's have & will look better as time goes on but not sure any of the current bikes will in the same way. I must admit my T is nowhere as pretty as my RSV was.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
jond58 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jond58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 22:37
Thought long and hard before winter about a change this year. Rc8, s1000r and triumph 675 were the only ones that really came to the fore but in the end I just couldn't justify a £3k 'upgrade' when in reality I love the Rsv! Can't stand the new blades,gsxr,r1 etc etc. Saw a gsxr last year at the milk bar in red and thought it was an r1!!! The colour scheme is the only distinguishing factor between all the new jap stuff. I'm sure they're all awesome but not a lot of 'character'!! Maybe I'm just getting an old fart!
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
londonsean69 View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonsean69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 22:43
I'm not a fan of the short seat units on the newer stuff, just doesn't look right.
Cheers

Sean

A few of my pics - www.arrowpix.com
jond58 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jond58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 22:43
That's like the Ducati 848, expensive but quite lovely until you get to the back of it!!!
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
j180 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 22:47
I like the look of the Superduke 1290r and Tuono 1100 factory but at 14k for either I will be sticking with my Tuoldo for some years to come. It does help that the T is a great bike so its no hardship to keep
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 22:56
Originally posted by jond58 jond58 wrote:

That's like the Ducati 848, expensive but quite lovely until you get to the back of it!!!

How can you not like this, it's the best bit.

jond58 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jond58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 23:00
Not my bag, it looks a bit 'cut off' like it should be a bit longer. Rest of thems a work of art but out of my price range, I'm good at convincing my missus I need things but that's out of my league!!
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 23:18
Originally posted by jond58 jond58 wrote:

Not my bag, it looks a bit 'cut off' like it should be a bit longer. Rest of thems a work of art but out of my price range, I'm good at convincing my missus I need things but that's out of my league!!

you sure your not confusing it with the 899. 848's are not that expensive now.
jond58 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jond58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 23:24
You're right it is the 899!! I've 848's on my mind because my mate wants an evo and we've looked at them, like £5.5k which is pretty damn good value!
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
MountainMan View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 08:33
A thread that proves we're all of a certain age. Ha ha. My 9 yo boy reckons the new R1 looks amazing. Of course the poster child of the next generation will be different to ours. Same with cars. Ferrari F40 or La Ferrari? If my numbers drop I know what I'll be hunting down.

Where new bikes are concerned, the only thing out there that gets me giddy is the KTM 300EXC/Husqvarna TE300. The sound and smell of youth with looks that haven't changed massively in the past 15 years.
MumboJumbo View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumboJumbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 09:24
I'm with you all on this. It's been a long time since I've seen anything and thought I would actually consider buying it. That's why I've had 5 RSV's now and wouldn't have anything else. I had a Blade for about 6 months and while it was quick and easy to ride it was boring - no soul whatsoever.
I quite like the fact that you have to fight an RSV from time to time, it's almost like a battle of wills as to who's going to give in first!!
Z28DUNC View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z28DUNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:51
Originally posted by londonsean69 londonsean69 wrote:

I'm not a fan of the short seat units on the newer stuff, just doesn't look right.

THIS!

Hate the current trend of stubby seat units. Even if I like the look of a current bike I see the tail section and it spoils it. 
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 19:58
Interesting post.....and it's strange that it's just come up now.
For the last 35 years or so, I've been lusting after one bike or another....constantly, be it a plain old Hornet, or a 916....always summat in the frame.
Now for the first time in my life (approaching retirement rapidly) I can more or less afford to buy any bike out there, Bimota's and Confederates excepted.....well almost....anything I want.
And here's the rub.....there's NOTHING out there that does it for me! 
Nothing...nowt, nada.
tbh, I thought it was just me....BUT...
I am sick of the pandering to the hipster thing....knobblies on a road bike?!? ...and more sh!te FFS
I am sick of the  stupid exhaust cans...from Z1000's to the underbelly cr@p.
I an sick of bench seats....great for a 300 mile day...lmfao
I am sick of canbus...and it's inability to be altered
I am sick of the 'adventure' brigade, with their metal mule sandwich boxes.
I am sick of the retro sh!t.
I am sick of most of the restoration sh!t....I was there the first time around....they were mostly cr@p
I am sick of the bobber/brat thing
I am sick of manufacturers diluting a good product to please the beancounters

Yep...I am deffo sick.

I will be maybe cured when a manufacturer has the insight to produce a decent  reliable bike that ticks more than 1 box.

Careca View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Careca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 10:30
Hahaha.............old rantonians , Im with you 100%

I saw the new ZZR1400..the exhaust on it was something I have never seen........it has to hold the record for the longest ugly tube you can stick on a bike.
Aptly its to do with Euro regulations etc etc , so the sooner we leave the EU the better.
Peter Harris View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 11:14
Oi Tifa, i could not resist this, after you remarking your dislike for adventure bikes.Smile I rode from here in Kent to the edge of the Sahara Desert in 2008 and back again. Ive had the bike since new in 2002.
The pic was taken just south of Marrakesh. I thought the whole country was an utter sh*t hole.

I'D RATHER A FULL BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME, THAN A FULL FRONTAL LABOTOMY
foxy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 11:19
I'm with you all on this one. I used to go to the bike shows religiously, but I ant been for years now, as there's nowt that floats mi boat enough to pay the exhorbitant entrance fee, or owt that I need. You used to be able to get bargains there, but by the time you've factored in your entry, car parking, and travel costs, you ant saved owt! I think it was 2004, the last time I went.
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Careca View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Careca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 14:16
I was thinking about going to the bike show this year as its not too far from me.....................

the bikes may have changed for the worse, but the eye candy hasn't.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 16:41
Originally posted by Peter Harris Peter Harris wrote:

Oi Tifa, i could not resist this, after you remarking your dislike for adventure bikes.Smile I rode from here in Kent to the edge of the Sahara Desert in 2008 and back again. Ive had the bike since new in 2002.
The pic was taken just south of Marrakesh. I thought the whole country was an utter sh*t hole.

Hahahhaaa......I'll let you off this time Peter.
Providing you haven't just got butties in those boxes... LOL
Johnboy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 18:49
It's a tough story now, I've just gone through the same situation. I want to have a bike that I can ride on my own, and has a decent amount of power, and sporty enough for my taste on the roads, but also something that the missus can get on too, and we can get away for the weekend. So I sold the Mille, which was my pride and joy, but no space at home for 2 bikes, and no good for 2 up riding. So looked at Tuono v4- too small, looked at Dursoduro but was advised not to bother due to reliability and support in the UK that doesn't involve an Aprilia dealer.
Then it's old blackbirds, and Hayabusas, but they're just too old, or not really what I wanted.
So, ended up with a 12 plate VFR1200. Don't get me wrong it's obviously not an out and out sports bike, and the looks are 'growing on me' I think black is the better colour.
But, FFS what's the exhaust all about.??? That's come off straight away, and a Mivv is on order, as IanG says, it's incase the motor can be heard God forbid!!!!
I don't get the adventure bike 'thing' ( Sorry Peter!) so this was my final choice.
I'll have to see how it goes for the year lol
[IMG][/IMG]
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 22:20
Beautiful bike JB.
The motor on those are fandabidosey.
They pull like a train..in any gear.
Perfect choice for 2 up riding fella.

And yeah...that exhaust has got to go....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic