rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aprilia RSV "Speciale" Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aprilia RSV "Speciale" Project
    Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 07:02
l I better start writing some bits about the history of my project!

Back in 2001 I was in the market to trade my beloved Jap inline and I took a decision that would later define my motorcycle life for the next ten years!

I traded my Kwak for a mint condition used 1999 Aprilia RSV base model. The bike had 33.000km on the Datsun like clocks and had a couple of aftermarket goodies as well.

1.Ohlins aftermarket rear shock with remote preoad adjuster
2. Aprilia racing open race can with 60mm diameter!
3. Aprilia racing chip
4. Powerbronze double bubble racing screen

The bike came in the original Tricolore scheme blue-orange-silver copying Valentino Rossi's colors who was racing Aprilia RSW 250 back then

nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 07:09
Well I must admit that it was not love at first site! 

emoticon wink

But after the first rides I started feeling the twin way of riding a superbike...and that was it, I was hooked!

As the market for Italian V-Twins was really small in Greece I started searching the web for forums in order to talk about the bike, answer questions and search for tuning ideas!

I came across RSVR.net which at the time was the best Aprilia forum in Europe and became my homepage for the next couple of years. New friends, new bike, new ideas and approach to tuning which was not all about the dyno numbers alone!

fusebox View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group
Aprilia performance boss bloke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fusebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 09:57
still is the best Aprilia forum !

in the world id say!

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
www.apriliaspareparts.co.uk
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 10:00
I can't disagree with that to be honest...this forum as well as the AF1 and Ebay became my best friends for some time during my project.

I have to say that RSVR.net was my favorite because I made a lot of friends that keep in touch even when I was not so active. Met a lot of embers when I was in UK for a while
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:21
Tell us more......
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:39
The list of mods keeps changing over the years with me trying various bits and pieces until I could find the right product for me. Here is a list of mods...

Chassis:
Ohlins front end from SP #87
Ohlins rear shock
Ohlins steering damper
OZ wheels
Brembo GP billet calipers
Brembo radial brake and clutch m/c
Gilles rear sets
Full carbon bodywork (original steel tank is replaced with the plastic version of the R)
Monoposto subframe
Race clip ons
Blue ergal bits here and there
Rizoma brake fluid holders
STM slipper clutch
16/43 520 sprockets and chain
Samco silicon hoses
Braided brake and clutch lines

Performance:
Tigcraft dual race system
MSS carbon air box
EVR air filters
57mm TB's ported
FP chip (for 54mm TB's)
Tuono heads polished
Factory 04 intake cams
Slotted cam sprockets
Amauri's 1103cc big bore kit
Full blueprinting
EVO wires
EVO amplifier
EVO fuel pressure modifier
PCIII USB 
Smaltmoto 57mm shower kit
Big valve heads from a 08 model ported

The weight reduction fever got into me the last couple of years and I made some custom made parts for reducing some grams here and there...still to weight the bike in this latest version

I was thinking of going step by step of all the mods along with some info about each one

Nitro
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:39
nice one nitroargi...

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:48
If you own a first generation Aprilia Mille (1998-2000) then you better upgrade the brakes as soon as possible. The same Brembo 2-pad calipers as the lighter two stroke RS250 means that braking power is not great.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/NitroArgi/1780817_214321502095547_858008149_n_zpsxxfkbtju.jpg

My first upgrade was to fit calipers from the second generation with 4-pads per caliper and of course braided brake lines. Yeap the "old" bike comes with non steel lines!

Original calipers looked cool but gold looked cooler I think!

While on the braking chapter soon after my first upgrade with later model braking components I started to find a way to gain more feel from the brakes. Power was there alright but this setup was lacking feel while braking on everyday rides and not track days. So I went for the obvious solution a beautiful made Brembo 19x20 radial master cylinder. Boy what a big difference this baby made to the feel...it felt like I was attached to he calipers!

Not long after my latest update I got really lucky and found a set of Brembo billet GP calipers that find their way to the Mille after I "pay" the guy with a brand new set of tires! 

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/NitroArgi/1658218_215746381953059_802423942_o_zpstfvltgxx.jpg

The last addition, for now, are a set of wave discs from Italian company Braking. These babies weight 1.386gr per piece while the OEM weight 1.615gr...not bad loss in rotating mass!!!

fusebox View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group
Aprilia performance boss bloke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fusebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:49
mega spec on that bike mate!

do you have any dyno results for it??

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaspareparts.co.uk
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:56
Not yet mate...all the components are in the shop waiting for me to find the time to bolt everything back to the engine! Winter is here so I will have some progress in the upcoming month

Just ordered the aluminum bolt set for the motor today from Pro-Bolt...they claim 60% weight reduction...we will have to see about that! Tongue

Last dyno was this one priot to BB and shower and some other bits

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 14:33
Wow serious spec
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
geobarb View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geobarb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 16:33
Hi nitroargi,it is nice to see your project on this great forum too.
You must be on my mindBig smile.
I was thinking that your project evolution must be displayed outside of greece.And here it is!
Keep the mods commingThumbs Up
george
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:29
As soon as I decided that the Mille was a keeper it was easier to me to sell parts from the original equipment in order to fund this project. So bit by bit the original tricolore bodywork find its place in a Tuono that was converted to Mille.

It took me almost two years to get all the carbon parts trying to find the original shape in the best possible deal. Ebay, ApriliaForum, RSVR.netbecame my best friends in order to locate what I needed. Every piece of the carbon bodywork has a unique story and comes from different manufacturers. Both front parts (racing and headlight option) as well as the side parts and underseat pieces are Aprilia Racing original carbon bits. Same goes for the front fender, the over clocks piece and front suspension protection under the headlight. 
The lower piece and the tail unit are made by QB Carbon in UK and I also got the rear fender and chain protection from the Island and Renegade...yeap the same company that makes the carbon airbox. 
One piece ram airs are rare Sebimoto parts that I had to wait the longest in order to find while other small bits and pieces like the front sprocket cover and rear chain fin were acquired new one year ago!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/NitroArgi/IMG_0964.jpg

NickyBoy1984 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 07:40
WoW amazing pics and amazing spec on your bike there buddy, some of the parts you've got on your bike are rare, RedRat would have a field day with those parts lol...!

NickyBoy
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 07:52
Thanks guys I really appreciate your nude comments

I wish I hadn't pass-missed some killer deals during the project long period- I passed on a nice carbon tank, lost a nice Brembo monobloc GP calipers etc

I am pretty happy with this project so far...still a zillion things to add!!! :))
m9rko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m9rko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 09:30
That's a very special bike.... Thumbs Up Big smile
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 09:59
Originally posted by nitroargi nitroargi wrote:

Thanks guys I really appreciate your nude comments

I wish I hadn't pass-missed some killer deals during the project long period- I passed on a nice carbon tank, lost a nice Brembo monobloc GP calipers etc

I am pretty happy with this project so far...still a zillion things to add!!! :))

There are some GP monoblocks for sale on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/351587864826

NickyBoy
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:28
Thanks m9rko!

I know NickyBoy...just treated myself a set ot 07 heads and they are going for porting on Wednesday!

It would be really interesting to see how the flow charts compare to the GenI heads I made one year ago
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:39

Let's talk a little about suspension...shall we?

Well I can tell you that gold is not my favorite color but this specific Scandinavian gold blows my mind! My Mille was the base model and that meant that it came from the factory with a Showa front fork and Sachs provided the rear suspension as well as the steering stabilizer.

I was fortunate enough to buy my RSV with an beautiful after market Ohlins rear suspension, the one with the remote preload adjuster and not the cheaper version from the R model. Although I can not compare the two I must admit that the rear suspension works like a dream.

I changed the spring to fit my weight which made it even better but the biggest change came from the fitment of a later rear suspension likage (from a 2004 Tuono)! The Ohlins shock became more progressive plus it added some valuable mm to the rear ride height and that was more to my liking.
ATTENTION for those to make the linkage update on an early Mille...this will only work with a later rear suspension because the factory spring is way too stiff!

For the front end things were a little more complicated at first. The Showa fork with the updated WP internals from the previous owner was stiff, ideal for trackdays but I was getting a beating on B-roads. So I knew at some point I knew I will have to upgrade...and here Apriliaforum comes in! It was back in 2003 when I "met" Jason, an RSV SP owner in the States that was trying to sell some of the original equipment! Ohlins front forks with the triples were on the menu and I just couldn't resist! I bought them for a fair price along with the limited edition SP plates #87 of 150 and the adapters for the Brembo monoblock calipers!

After that the only thing I had to do was to complete the Swedish family and got an adjustable Ohlins steering stabilizer from the R model to replace the non adjustable factory one...luckily it is a bolt on job and requires no modifications!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 13:22
Blimey, you've got some very very nice parts there Mate, I'am in the process of receiving some nice race kit parts from Brembo myself and I'am also keen to find out like you said, how much difference having a Brembo Master Cylinder helps!

NickyBoy
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 14:13
The brembo master cylnder is one of the best mods i have done to my bike, makes a big difference.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 14:28
Are we talking oem or RCS here?

I've not noticed any limitations of the standard axial fitment yet,although I have an oem radial pump in the garage to fit if I feel the need.

I'm tempted by the RCS 19 although I believe the matching clutch master is a waste of time and money,anyone care to comment from personal experience?
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 14:32
Yeah the RCS 19x20 Brembo one, I'am hoping it makes a big difference, I'am after lots of sharp bite with the setup I've got planned!

NickyBoy
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 14:34
Btw Nitro, is that your bike on YouTube with the twin Tigcraft pipes?

NickyBoy
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 14:35
You want sharper bite for the road?  Shocked
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 14:51
Mine is 19/18 radial Brembo none rcs and is very good on the road and I have the radial clutch but no real difference with that.
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 15:57
Originally posted by NickyBoy1984 NickyBoy1984 wrote:

Yeah the RCS 19x20 Brembo one, I'am hoping it makes a big difference, I'am after lots of sharp bite with the setup I've got planned!

NickyBoy

19X20 actually is a lot better than stock, not only improves the power of the brakes but also dramaticaly improves the feeling from the lever

Yes the RSV with the Tigs on the video is mine Tongue
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 16:12
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

Mine is 19/18 radial Brembo none rcs and is very good on the road and I have the radial clutch but no real difference with that.

Hello mate...love your bike btw!!! WinkWink

This usefull info is "borrowed" from a Ducati forum

"19x18 requires 11% lighter pull and 11% longer pull distance than the 19x20 MC. More feel (better modulation characteristics) than the 19x20

19x20 requires the most lever force but the shortest pull. More like a trigger action.

Some riders think that this short-pull trigger action means that they have "better" brakes, but they don't - at least not for all riding conditions. What they do get is the same braking power with poorer modulation (feel) characteristics. Good for the track perhaps, but often dangerous on the street, especially in the wet. In an emergency, most of us have the instinct to grab a brake hard. So if you value a better feel, when choosing between the 19x18 and the 19x20 for the street, go for the 19X18.
On the other hand some, like me, prefer their lever hard."
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 16:21
good info nitro ...keep it coming and the bike build !!!

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 16:33
Loving the bike spec and its evolution!

Great thread Nitroargi!

Serious modding! Thumbs Up

Question everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
  Share Topic