rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch Change Plates or Not? Advise Please.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwissRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Change Plates or Not? Advise Please.
    Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 20:14
Hey Guys,

Today I went to buy some DOT 4 Brake & Clutch Fluid in preparation for the D.I.Y Reverse bleed technique on my Clutch which has black fluid showing in the Top Reservoir.

(As neutral is tricky to find I've ordered the #40 Jet Oil Brass thingy also. Waiting for delivery)

On my way home from buying the Fluid & Tubing I popped into a local Bike Service station and asked about my Clutch Fluid, as it is Black - the mechanic looked and laughed and said oh no your plates have gone,,,

As I've already read on here that the Black fluid is no indication of the condition of the plates - I though - here we go - I'm gonna get ripped off... And sure enough the boss came out jumped on the bike and started her, went for a jaunt for 50 meters and back - then tested the Clutch as though he was starting a burnout - And said the Plates are gone, the clutch is not disengaging enough... so it will cost circa (plus or minus) CHF 400.00 / £-€ 260.00 - Change the Plates, Engine Oil + Labour - does this sound excessive?

Do they changing at all? On here I found a post saying no as it is self adjusting / hydraulic?
I have no idea about clutches - soz...

I've read that it is an easy-ish job? 30-60 minutes? I'm a mechanical novice (though I can cope with computers and general diy)... I'm willing to have a go myself - so is it best?

To Just replace the Plates - ? Which Brand would you recommend ?
Or buy a Complete Set Basket and Plates - all together New? Again which Brand ?

Or just change the Fluid and fit the #40 Jet Oil - and bob's your uncle? No need for Plates?

If I do it myself - Will I loose loads of Engine oil? Does it need draining before and the filter changing?
(if so I have to rent a workshop as it's illegal to work on mechanical stuff due to fire / hazards / insurance etc...)

I've watched some youtube videos - anoyone get an Aprilia specific guide?

Any pointers are appreciated - remember though - I am a Motorcycle diy virgin.

Cheers Guys.
Ben

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 20:19
You won't lose the oil if it's on its side stand

I'd be tempted to ...flush/bleed through the fluid ....most people's fluid is blackish on here

Set the free play correctly at the lever..fit the jet40 try that.

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
SwissRider View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwissRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 20:24
Cheers RedRatBike,

I just needed the push - I just need to buy the Syringes / Loctite and pick up the Oil jet #40 from Germany in the next days...

Good news about the Oil - I ready this was ok on the side stand - just wanted to double check.

So fingers crossed - I hope I can get around to it the the next 2 weeks.

I\ll post back when it's done or properly buggered - either way.

Cheer Mister.
B
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 20:47
Son't forget to bleed the master cylinder too. Mine needs a regular bleeding session to keep a good lever. Gen2 radial type.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwissRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 20:53
Thanks - I forgot to say I've just bought last week RSV Mille R from 2003.

There's a little rubber skirt that prevents dust going into the master cylinder from the Lever Pin.
This on mine is watsed and broken - can you buy these rubber seals for the master cylinder?

What is the technical term for them? Embarrassed
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 21:06
Is the clutch slipping under hard acceleration , if not then all is ok. The fluid goes black through heat as the clutch rod can spin on the slave piston and cook it. Neutral is hard to find on some and not on others and the clutch jet can help with this on some and not others? . If you need to change the clutch it is an easy do it yourself job and companies like Barnett or surflex supply them through ap shop or demon Tweeks .
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwissRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 21:14
Thanks  426hemi,

at the garage today the mechanic said the Clutch lever is biting too high?

Am I being daft - when I cahnge gears on all the bikes I've ridden - all v-twins -
I've always pulled the clutch lever fully in against the grip?

Should I being only half applying the clutch? to shist gears?

I have not felt the clutch slipping under hard acceleration - though I don't know what this feels like - it does not seems to be dragging either -

So I will do the jet oil and fluid change and see where I'm at after that.
If the plates need doing I'll do them as well for piece of mind.

Cheers guys.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 21:29
If it slips under acceleration you will hear the revs rise quickly and loose acceleration, if the clutch is dragging when you select 1st with the clutch in it will try to pull away. do you have adjustable levers to adjust the span?
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwissRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 09:15
I have the Original Levers and have tried all 4 Positions on the Dial and no 'Dragging' and no 'Acceleration Slipping' - so does this mean the Plates are fine?

Cheers
B
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 09:21
To me yes.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwissRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 09:25
So Thanks to all for your input here - I'll go off line re this subject until I report back with an update.

Cheers Fellas
Clap
Ben

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic