rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV4 > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What engine oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clintos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What engine oil
    Posted: 23 May 2015 at 21:55
Aprilia manual states the use of AGIP Racing 4T, SAE 5W-40 engine oil.  However, I cant find the AGIF stuff available anywhere in the UK but maybe someone can help with a supplier etc.  The next question is, is this oil semi or fully synthetic? and finally can I add another make of SAE 5W-40 as top up oil between services?

Thanks!
Clint
Now that..........aint slow!
Kamm Matt View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kamm Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 03:04
agip is no more longer agip but eni
http://mibc.proboards.com/
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 04:07
Any good brand is fine, some use fully synthetic some use semi. 10w40 semi-synthetic is my preferred choice of the Motul variety. Some also use 15w50 just to confuse you even more
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Drew View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 08:21
Im using Silkoline 5w40 pro ,fully synthetic  in my v4 . 
Drew View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 08:24
I have seen the Agip/eni oil on ebay though , good price aswell but had to come from germany .
tez83 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tez83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 07:38
Motul 300v 5/40 is what I'm running in my v4 highly recommended
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 09:22

any decent brand will do semi or full synth, 5w40 - 15w50 but just ensure it is motorbike specific eg Motul 300V is available in car and MC blends and I believe the bike spec stuff has a different additives pack to suit MC engine requirements, wet clutch etc

My personal choice is Motul 5100 or Silkolene Comp 4 both semi synths, I don’t believe full synth is worth the extra unless you do big mileages, full synth has a better resistance to chemical break down over time and mileage, basically it stays in grade longer (this allows many modern cars and vans to have service intervals of around 25K) but most bikes don’t get anything like that kind of use so the mine benefits of a long life full ester synthetic are largely wasted.

Some goes for viscosity, the recommended 5w40 offers a good viscosity range for all round use in most all engines car or bike, 5 weight gives good initial circulation on start up in cold winter weather and 40w offers good protection under load at high temps, however I prefer 15w50 basically because I don’t use the bike in cold weather so 15w is perfectly fine to ensure full protection on start up and 50w offers better protection at high temps and loads than 40w when used in a big twin, so for me 15w50 makes more sense. Conversely someone who rides all year round would probably be better off with 5w40, which is a slightly better compromise. Essentially what I’m saying is there isn’t a single ‘best oil’, to decide what’s best for you and your bike you need to look at the conditions and use your bike is subjected to. Choose a quality brand oil based on how you use the bike and you won’t go for wrong.

tez83 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tez83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 10:14
Early rsv4 motors ran 15/50 it's the 2011 onwards bikes that run 5/40 without sounding too bad on the v4 motor I would always use fully synthetic as the thing is a high sprung motor that needs alot of tlc

There not as hard core as the old 990 rotax twin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic