rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

arai helmets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: arai helmets
    Posted: 23 May 2015 at 19:19
anyone use an arai?
im no name brand snob and usualy swear by hjc.

i went to treat myself to a brand new helmet this afternoon,
ive had hjc agv and shoei before,the hjc is still with me in use
and is comfy as anything,but quite old now,and the old shoei was a very good fit
and maybe a little plusher than the hjc.

so i thought these 2 helmets,in my usual xl would be a no brainer.
tried every shoei and hjc new lid in the shop and non fit!

also tried the new foggy rep shark speed r and their carbon one,no go Cry

yet arai,a helmet i could never wear (shoei v arai shaped head debate)
was the only new lid that fit and felt very comfy.wtf lol.

any recommended models ect as ive never had one before.
the £6-700 ones are a no no.but anything upto around 450 ish.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 19:27
Never had an arai but I swear by my schuberth sr1.
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 19:32
schubert,cheers bud,not tried one of them on yet.
ill have a look see if anyone near by has one to try on.
glad i didnt buy online like i was going to!
Lateshift View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lateshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 19:33
Had most of them but my long term helmet has been an Arai Chaser, i have a HJC RPHA10 plus which i do rate highly but it's still a short way off the quality of the Arai to be honest.

Previous owner to a 'shiny' Haga #150 & a shinier 05 Factory
Drew View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 19:34
Always had arai and wouldnt use anything else , id recomend the quantum , should be in budget .
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 19:43
chaser and quantum,cheers lads,ill have a look.
tried to find the older style white chaser with red speed blocks on
but must be discontinued
Rybes View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rybes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 20:31
I got an arai tour x had it now bout 10 years still comfy could do with getting a new in but I've had mine painted n love it.
ive just got my first vtwin and i think i got the right one
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 21:11
Had Arai, Shoei both great but I am currently loving Shark lids. All been excellent and in budget somewhere in the range. Only thing I'm not keen on with Arai is the way Arai visors change in and out. Lots of wiggling and cracking sounds. Never bust one just don't like that.
Shoei and Shark a doddle.
Like look of Bell lids (no pun) but there is no official importer I was informed so maybe an issue should a warranty issue occur.
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 21:14
I wear the Arai Rx7 nakano rep by far my favourite design ever! Quality is top notch came from an hjc and it is way better although the one I wear is the older style and they have changed fit since which probably explains why the newer ones fit you now when they didn't before. However they are bloody expensive! I've had mine 6 years now so due a new one but I can't afford top of the range like I used to ( kids now) so I don't know what I'm going to buy yet.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 23:06
yea,ive never been in the position to buy a top lid
but i fancied treating myself for a change.

ive always had mid range and kept them for ages.
my shoei i had when i passed my test in 2001 and if it hadnt gone mouldy as hell
in the shed,id still be using it lol.

i have the chance of the cal crutchlow rx7 gp for £499 with dark visor and pin lock inserts.
its not a bad looking lid and top of the range,just fancied a red and white one or fancy design
but not much is floating my boat.
Jim27 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 23:30
I have the RX7 GP. Brilliant helmet. Removing/refitting the visor is like witchcraft though (but that might just be me!). Aftersales service is brilliant too. I had an off and hit my head on the deck. Dealer sent the helmet back to Arai who then X-rayed and stress tested it, returning it with a certificate of safety/roadworthiness. All at their cost too :) The RX7 GP also has a little pull-down chin spoiler which does wonders for keeping cold wind off your neck!

YOU CAN MAKE THE CORNER.
DO NOT SLOW DOWN.
skinso View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 23:33
I've just bought an arai chaser v, I tried everything on and for me it was the best fit and the material inside feels a lot better than the others, loads softer and comfier. Great price too at £300
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 00:00
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/arai_helmets_chaser_v_raw_red_white

nice,where did you get that for 300 buddy?
i like the chaser v raw above, but its over £400 everywere so far.
its white with red stripes,itd go well with my red and white bike too.
skinso View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 00:10
I looked at that 1 myself, check ebay that's where I got mine tho the 1 you like was more expensive
cheesy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
top chef!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 00:22
Ive got a arai quantum urban black

for me its a great lid, 
pinlocks work a treat
Chin spoiler is a god send

Arai visor mechs people sturggle with but you just have to do it
if that makes sense, rather than be carefull as you'll be more inclined to mess the change up

The shoei xr1100 i was gonna buy at time i bought arai but just couldn't get the fit right
old model i know but rated very highly & quiet

just cos its a arai, doesn't mean all there models will fit
a chaser may be great but a rx7 won't or vice a verser if that makes sense
04 Tuono Fighter
1060 gen2 motor & some....
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 00:52
good point cheesy.
i think it was the axces 2 i tried on.
flatlander View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 09:17
Had both prefer shoei. I had an arai before they changed importers and it was the Friday one I think nightmare to get anything done about it had to call holland.
What I did learn is that some of the stock may be old stock so check the date it turned out the tour x I had bought was 2 years old when I bought it. So may be worth finding out how to check the dates before buying.
Also had Kraft by far my favourite so lightweight and everyone thinks its a Simpson
HIC I like too

I still have the replacement tour x as a standby and it is much better than the one I bought originally. Make sure you get the right fit with the replaceable cheek pads etc
Oh and I prefer the pin lock system
Shark and others with the internal shades don't work if you've got a rugby nose and a Bruce Forsyth chin... Don't ask me how I know that!
"Si me dices ven lo dejo todo ... pero dime ven"
Stevex11sdw View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex11sdw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:39
I've had a Mick Doohan Quantum for donkeys and love it. I had the Ducati RX7 for a while but was happy to get rid when the bike went because it would move around at speed as shape just didn't suit me because I foolishly bought for the look and not the fit.
Ape View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Moto nutter!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 11:00
Suomi are fairly decent sized.
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT BOSS !!
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 11:02
had an arai astro r sheene rep for 10 yrs and i love the fit. had the agv sheene rep too (t2) and thats a good fit and lid too. always been an arai man tho lol
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 21:28
cheers lads,
lmao at brucie chin and rugby nose lol.
ill nip to the bike shop again monday if its open and try a few more on.

i just tried the ones they had on display in xl,
didnt want to involve the sales buggers as they try to get a sale there and then.

better to buy on line,better choice of colours/replicas and free tinted visors worth £50-£60 on arai's and cheaper too.
Eyore View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eyore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 21:43
My favourite lid is my Arai  Quantum, Italian Flag colours, its is not the quietest, not the lightest, but feels beautifully made. Pinlock is great, ventilation is great. Definitely recommend Arai if the budget will allow.
Firestarter View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firestarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 22:13
Got an RX7 GP - was fortunate enough to have the money, so treated myself.  Had a Shoei XR1000 for years before that, the Arai is a far better fit for me, and less noisy unless have all the vents open.

The Quantum is very similar lid, without some of the bells and whistles of the RX7, and obviously a few hundred cheaper.  J&S were doing them a little while back with a free 2nd visor (the flip-up jobbie in the pics below), very good system IMO
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 22:15
yea budget not a problem for a change lol
just want a good fit.
the agv ti-tech rossi i bought in xl off ebay nearly rips my ears off everytime i wear it
and spend all ride with the ears bent over double!

shame cos its a stunning helmet.
ill have to stick that on ebay for £100.
skinso View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 22:27
The hjc was the same for me folded down ears tho I do have big ears lol
nex0r View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nex0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 14:51
I've worn Arai's for the last 20 years and have extensivley crash tested them while racing. I wouldn't wear any thing else but the ones I would recommend from seeing them after the owners have tried to destroy them are Arai, Shoei and HJC.

I wear a Chaser on the road and race in Condor although I destroyed that one last year so whatever the equivilent is.

btw the cheap Ebay deals your should be aware that some of them are new old stock, Arai's are date stamped on the strap. It has been know for them to be 5 years old hence the price.
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 15:05
yea,one was a crutchlow rx7 gp from 2014.
another was a lorenzo hjc carbon rpha 10 +.

well,been back to cmc today as well as their discount shop
and tried every xl helmet they have lol.
from arai rx7 gp,arai chaser v,arai quantum,shoei x1100,shoei gt air,shoei nx sumat or other and shoei x spirit 2
as well as some agv gp techs.....and came away with what fitted the best and i liked the design of...
shark speed R foggy anniversary.

fits and feels very nice and looks great imo,i wanted a foggy rep years ago before he retired.
£300 with dark visor was a good price too i felt.

probably not half of the bells and whistles of arai and shoei but it felt very nice and comfy
some of the arais,had plastic bits that dug in and scratched my head as they went on
and most sempt very narrow from nose to chin.

the shark feels great.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic