rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MPG Tuono 08 model

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MPG Tuono 08 model
    Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 02:24
Hi,  I'm new to the forum and Aprilia. I have just bought a Tuono 1000R 2008 model. It is standard to the best of my knowledge apart from Akrapovic cans.  I have only been getting between 70 and 77 miles , on a full tank of fuel before the fuel light comes on. I have been riding casual not thrashing it.  Is this normal , it seems too low to me.????  The other thing is I can smell fuel quite strong when the bike is running , and if I come to a stop the smell of fuel is there still. I put the bike away in the garage tonight and the smell of fuel is very strong , it seems to be coming from the end of the cans but not certain.  I thinking the fuelling is wrong yet it seems to run ok. A bit lumpy at low revs but aren't all twins this way....  I asked the dealer to take the baffles out of the cans for me when I picked it up , they struggled to get them out , and ended up fixing mole grips to them and hammering them out eventually. Took a good 10 mins and the baffles with black with soot.  Again im thinking this would back up my theory the fuelling is wrong.  There does not appear to be any fuel leaking  there has not been any on the garage floor etc.  just seems to drink fuel (unless 77 miles is good when casual riding for the Tuono before the fuel light comes on )?.     
Bike has only done 7,000 miles. full service history.  Its not know if any remap was done when cans, fitted due to it being pre owned.

Any advice will be appreciated.   Thanks in advance.

Big D.
Spookos View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spookos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 06:52
I have a Gen1 Tuono and I get about 100 miles to the light occasionally 110 on a good run. From what you describe your bike would appear to be running super rich and given you've just acquired it from an (alleged)
dealer am guessing it's under warranty so take it back and tell them to sort it out.
Big D View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 11:49
Hi, thanks for your reply , I bought it from CMC STOKE, they have told me to take it in tomorrow and they will check no fuel leak, but that's all they can do. They said they cannot map it and have no access to the Aprilia maps. They do not know what was done to the bike before it came in and its down to me to sort it out if its a mapping issue.   Even though I have 3 months warranty with it.  I think it is running far too lean as you say. 
Spookos View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spookos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 12:19
It certainly isn't down to you mate it's under warranty and if it's chewing fuel they should sort it out....or they should pay for Griff/AP to do it for you.
Bird View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 13:01
Take it to Aprilia Performance in Tamworth, especially if you are local to that area anyway! (More so than most of us are).

Most dealers don't have a clue what to do with these bikes.

I've got a 2010 Tuono like yours and on a run get about 100 miles before fuel light comes on and on motorway it's more like 130 so yours isn't right. Mine doesn't stink of fuel either!
brooksy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brooksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 14:48
IMHO its not a mapping issue and I would think the TBs need balancing and the dealer should pay to get that done, as for the average distance expectation to the light coming on you should expect around 85 - 95 miles dependant on how you ride and how big you are.
to get it in the 100 mile category you are either 1 a lightweight or 2 riding like a girl (no disrespect intended Bird Ouch)
WARNZ View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WARNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 15:00
Being lazy,in high gear going full throttle as it will pull no problem? Is the gearing really short?

I would expect closer to 100miles for casual riding
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Bird View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 16:04
Originally posted by brooksy brooksy wrote:

IMHO its not a mapping issue and I would think the TBs need balancing and the dealer should pay to get that done, as for the average distance expectation to the light coming on you should expect around 85 - 95 miles dependant on how you ride and how big you are.
to get it in the 100 mile category you are either 1 a lightweight or 2 riding like a girl (no disrespect intended Bird Ouch)

It's OK, I'm lightweight and ride like a girl.
brooksy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brooksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 16:12
Originally posted by WARNZ WARNZ wrote:

Being lazy,in high gear going full throttle as it will pull no problem? Is the gearing really short?

I would expect closer to 100miles for casual riding
tried a casual ride on a Tuono once Embarrassed it doesn,t work
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 17:19
05 rsv 100 miles to light no problem & mine only smells of polish. Like they say get it over to AP for a look see.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
Big D View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 17:24
Hi all, Thanks for your comments. Been back to CMC today so they could check no leaks, and they said no leaks and its running fine. They say they do guzzle fuel and its about right what im getting with the Akra pipes with baffle removed.   They tell me it must of been mapped by the previous owner or it would run like crap otherwise.    Well on the way back my fuel light came on!  This time I got 67 miles from a full tank , but I did give it a good blast for about 35 miles yesterday.  Still seems low to me?? especially when others on here are telling me they are getting near 100 miles.  Dealer has said no issues with it and that is normal , so not much I can do.  It does seem to run fine , but is drinking the fuel and once its turned off , you can smell fuel very strongly. Once it left in the garage overnight its not too bad smell wise so it must be when its running maybe.     Cheers guys for you replys so far Smile
WINDY View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WINDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 17:31
I have a Gen 2 Red Lion Mille, Akrapovics, P.C. fitted by Griff and mapped by his co-horts, I get 100 - 120 miles to the tank, depending on 1 or 2 up and the type of roads ridden.
C.M.C. are incorrect when they imply it is not their issue to solve, but for peace of mind, like the others say, I too would advise you to get GRIFFED.  Job done well.
P.S. To get in their good books take some biscuits with you.
WARNZ View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 17:33
Forgot to mention you could have a blocked breather from tank causing the smell. 1 of the 3 pipes pocking out near side stand

I would give Griff at AP a call I'm sure they would hook up to the ecu for a small charge just to clarify its on map 2 n everything is ok
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Big D View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 17:50
Yeah cheers , I think I,ll ring AP and get it checked. Will need to wait until I get some money know as im skint at the moment.  I,ll keep an eye on it.  How many miles can you get once the fuel light comes on any idea ?  with mine probably 10  at the rate its drinking it at the moment 
Big D View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 18:22

BY the way I weigh 18 half stone.     Do you think this could be why im getting such a poor mileage prior to the fuel light coming on   . Between 67 and 77 miles so far and light on this is from filling the tank to the top.    What are your thoughts or does this still seem like an issue with the bike ??    Your comments are appreciated guys ..    Big DSmile

davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 18:32
Mine on Akras with baffles out & running on the correct map. About same weight as me & even with a tailpack full or 2 up range 100ish miles to light on.Think it needs a fettle.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
Big D View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 18:51
Cheers I think AP will have to look at it then , something isn't right then.  Cry
Tinyuk View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tinyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:03
im about the same weight as you... have a 2007 T with PC3, K&N, no restrictor in the front of the box and cans... i ride like a hoon most of the time 2nd 3rd 4th gear blasts to and from work and get 85 plus miles to a tank... i am sure if i rode like my granny i could get that up to 100 but wheres the fun!

does sound like you are running a bit rich if your gettling less when not riding hard...

get over AP and get it looked at... as for short of cash... think of the savings on fuel once its done!!!!!
Bird View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 13:35
Think I've had 28 miles at least out of the bike with the fuel light on. But I'm a lightweight and a girl.
j180 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote j180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 17:59
My gen 1 gets around 100_110 to the light under normal riding, but I have had it down to 80
stuono67 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuono67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 20:07
Hi bigd. Ride it like you stole it, you then have top excuse for poor economy. Agree with others. Return to supplier, smelling of petrol is this safe? Give them opportunity to make good. If not Griff at ap is your man, but why should you pay?
Big D View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 20:43
AngryHi,  exactly why should I pay!   CMC Stoke aren,t interested wont let me return the bike said its mine now and they aren't buying bikes at the moment!   Which is rubbish as I had a mate ring about selling them his after they said it and they were up for buying it!!!!   I rang AP today and they seem decent I will take it there to check its running as it should. At least when I leave there I'll be happy its running right bad MPG or not once its been to AP .   The guy I spoke to at AP said he has heard bad things about CMC  himself.    Annoying  I spend the best part of £5500 and they aren't interested in it after despite Aprilia telling me that its not right !!!  Will never buy there again an neither will the bikers I know. That was with  3 months warranty !!! forget the lifetime one they offer.AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
stuono67 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stuono67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 21:24
Hi bigd. I'D phone bike shop ask about a bike they selling(with warranty and without) try and find out how much your 3mth warranty is worth. Go back to shop and get them to reimburse you, past history tells me taking big,angry psycho looking mate always works wonders in such a situation. Good luck
genman View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 15:12
I filled the tank on my 08 factory....got home 1 mile away...took 7 litres from the bike for another bike and used the 08 for work commute...managed 68 miles to the light and refilled with 13.22L...so the bike used 6.22L for 68 miles , so in the case of my bike it seems to do approx 10 miles / L.
I had a 04 RSVR factory years ago and 120-130 miles to reserve on it was normal.

A Gen 1 Tuono I had could drink a tankful in 80 miles + 20 miles on reserve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic