rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best battery rsv

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyt3892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best battery rsv
    Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 23:52
what make
a thomas
camngetit View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camngetit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 00:03
Yuasa ttz 14 s 230cca just put one on mine
its twins for me !!!!
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
mattie1972 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 08:16
The Yuasa is a cracking choice, lots of power. Only issue is the 14amp one is bigger than OE and takes some wiggling to fit.

Here is another alternative:

Its slightly smaller than stock so no fitment issues. It has higher CCA so turns our v-twins over better than OE even if it doesn't quite have the power of the Yuasa.
08 Black Tuono R www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 09:12
Motobatt great but this is the version you want, more CCA and bigger capacity too in the same size dimensions as the standard battery. I've got one and a few others too, can't fault it, fires first turn of the engine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOBATT-MBYZ16H-UPGRADE-AGM-BATTERY-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-883-SPORTSTER-04-11-/360983260706?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item540c476e22

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 09:22
Yuasa for me too looking strong so far.
mattie1972 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 10:44
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Motobatt great but this is the version you want, more CCA and bigger capacity too in the same size dimensions as the standard battery. I've got one and a few others too, can't fault it, fires first turn of the engine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOBATT-MBYZ16H-UPGRADE-AGM-BATTERY-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-883-SPORTSTER-04-11-/360983260706?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item540c476e22

Good job, I pasted the wrong link.

THis is the one i have, more power and the same size as stock
08 Black Tuono R www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Lateshift View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lateshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 18:59
Originally posted by mattie1972 mattie1972 wrote:

Good job, I pasted the wrong link.

THis is the one i have, more power and the same size as stock

Got this one myself and it's a beast of a battery Big smile
Previous owner to a 'shiny' Haga #150 & a shinier 05 Factory
Kamm Matt View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kamm Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 04:41

is it ur bike is gen2? or gen1? if gen2 how to fit the tilt sensor on top of the batt?
http://mibc.proboards.com/
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 17:56
This was for a Gen 1, I'm not sure about fitment for the Gen 2.

However the Motobatt worked great for as long as it lasted but that was for  only 12 months (One winter killed it). Lots of online research shows many people complaining about short life on Motobatt batteries. The next time I went to a one from a supplier recommended by Ian G but can' remember at the moment. That has been going strong for 30 months now and performas every bit as good as the Motobatt did for half the price. I will try to dig out the info later.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 18:35
If it was a Yuasa or Varta  it would probably have been from Tayna   http://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/f/aprilia/rsv-1000-mille-00-03/

The Varta Funstart I had from them was for the Gen1  which was the same basic size as the original but about 20mm shallower and much lighter.

Since then I've gone to Lithium for the Gen2 Tuono and run a JMT that starts the bike when the first piston get to firing position,first time every time,no turning over as such,just like switching on a light.

Oh, and it goes at least a couple of months unattended ( not left it any longer) without any of that 'optimser' crap and still does exactly the same.

I need another battery for the Gen1 Mille which hasn't been used for a couple of years so I'll be going Lithium for that as well, I really can't see the point to old fashioned lead acid batteries for a bike nowdays,they are as irrelevant as acetylene lights Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 20:18
I've had the jmt lithium for about 2 years or more and agree it's been great when I bought it I thought I got done, it's so light thought I bought an empty box lol and it's tiny.
CarsOrBikes View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarsOrBikes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 22:02
don't bother with Varta, the cca is too low and they're not designed for the same degree of lay back. Yuasa all day long for me, but maybe use the ytz12s which is 220cca over the OEM 180, and is actually a little shorter with a slightly different design top. I made a plinth from carboard covered in Sellotape to protect from any wet. Strong starting, can lay flat, and a sealed gel battery so no leaks, no filling etc, just charge and fit.

or stick with OEM yts12bs iirc, perfectly good if looked after
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 00:24
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

If it was a Yuasa or Varta  it would probably have been from Tayna   http://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/f/aprilia/rsv-1000-mille-00-03/ 

It was Tayna but their own brand - Enduroline. The only problem is that the specs for the same model number vary from time to time. When I bought mine they were 240 CCA and it has been a superb battery and less than £35! At the moment however the same model number seems to be 190 CCA. I asked them about this and they just said that the spec of different batches can vary which seems very odd to me. I would have thought that a modified spec should have a different model number, it just seems like common sense but that's me!

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 08:49
Probably a bit like computer chips,they are made to a defined spec and then tested to see how they perform,those that work as intended are sold as such,those that don't are downgraded to an inferior spec  Confused

Tayna are certainly a major player though,I think I have an Enduroline in my car and iirc that came with a 3 year warranty.

I believe their postal delivery is very good if you need it

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Kamm Matt View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kamm Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 09:12
so when using other type of batt on gen2 bikes.. how do u guys placed / fit the tilt sensor on top of the batt? is it just straight screw in the sensor on its place?

constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 10:06
I go an enduroline from them it was faulty they sent a currier to pick it up and sent one back excellent service 
Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 16:29
no need to move it with a jmt there smaller and come with plastic bloks to fill any gap bit like leggo 
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 19:51
Shido lithium 14BS, I would never go back to a lead acid. 3 year warranty,  no lead acid gives you that. 
Kamm Matt View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kamm Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 10:16
mine Yuasa YTX12-BS serve me well for almost 4 years.. huhu
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 19:37
Originally posted by dog78 dog78 wrote:

Shido lithium 14BS, I would never go back to a lead acid. 3 year warranty,  no lead acid gives you that. 

Just been reading the info on these batteries, have to say they sound like an excellent replacement for the old lead acid ones. Can't believe how light they are too.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 20:20
They are unbelievable Stevex,  the weight , the speed they charge,  also the way the turn the engine over .
Tapmyhead,  who's a member on here bought one for his 1103 big Bore motor , when he had just built it and running it in , the bike had a fuel problem and he had to do loads of starts in succession trying to get the bike home, he said that a lead acid would have never done that many starts as the Shido. 
They seem to turn the engine over the same speed then stop rather than slowing down like a lead acid. 
They can go from 25% to 90% in about 7 mins ,so I plug it in while doing the tyre pressures and putting my gloves on and before setting of and it's always has a full battery. 
I believe you can get a special Optimate for them, but I just use a Noco Genius 3.5 amp charger which cost about fifty quid.  The weight is shocking just feel like a bit of plastic. 
I used the bigger one but they are so small it's not a problem just turned one set of spacers on its side .
I don't use my bike in the winter so the cold start isn't a problem ,but leaving the ignition with the lights on for a minute is usually good enough to warm the battery. 
They to me were a revelation, also a lot of manufactures are fitting them to the new bikes,  so I reckon it's definitely the way forward.  Just follow the care instructions and they will be fine . The only thing they don't like is parasitical drain, like alarms.  But my alarm is never on and I haven't started the bike since 17th July Donington trackday and it still reads at 100% but that only means that it's above 70% on my Noco indicator lead.  They have far less discharge if not connected to the bike , even a year it will hardly lose nothing. 
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 20:24
That'll be my next battery for the Tuono then. The Yuasa lead acid still seems to have plenty of life in it yet though.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 20:28
I have the shido as well and it's spot on, when I needed a new battery for my 9r I put it on that and bought the larger ltx16 which is the same size as the ltx14, now that's a battery with some oomphh.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 20:32
You won't regret it , shop around and you can get for about 75 quid sometimes,  but the only thing is you got to buy the lithium charger , it's a must.  And the lead is handy to as you can check the battery status by lifting back of the seat off with your key on my gen two . The Noco does come with a remote lead but without an indicator , but you can get them on Amazon for a tenner . 
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 20:38
You are obviously convinced and happy with yours and that's fair do's but I am yet to be fully convinced. Just added a few thoughts to some of your observations below.

Originally posted by dog78 dog78 wrote:

They seem to turn the engine over the same speed then stop rather than slowing down like a lead acid.
That's to protect themselves from damage which they are prone to if fully drained. I guess it helps protect the sprag as well though.

I don't use my bike in the winter so the cold start isn't a problem ,but leaving the ignition with the lights on for a minute is usually good enough to warm the battery.
Which in itself starts to drain the battery and isn't good for coils.

They to me were a revelation, also a lot of manufactures are fitting them to the new bikes, so I reckon it's definitely the way forward.  Just follow the care instructions and they will be fine .
True but they also incorporate electronics to use them properly without damage to the battery or bike and that's something our older bikes don't have.

The only thing they don't like is parasitical drain, like alarms. 
Or our dashboards that have a constant drain

Lastly, think Samsung phones with batteries blowing up. I just don't know  ErmmConfused

dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 19:23
Hi Legend, yes I wouldn't disagree with any of the points you have made, but it works for me, and like anything there's always some advantages as disadvantages .
But that's progress whether we embrace or not,  or even if it progress. I was worried about switching over to a Lithium but I read as much I could , also at the time hemi was using them, so I decided to give it a go. There again I heard that 1103 motors are no good and only a 1060 big Bore were the only safe big Bore, till I spoke to Fredrik in Sweden that has an 1127 which has done 8000 miles,  so I have decided to go for that 😂 . But for the money for the battery I didn't think it was much of a risk. Like a lot of things it's personal preference,  you pay money and you take your choice. 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 20:40
True enough Clap

Batteries can be a lottery,some people seem to have trouble and pretty much change them annually while others see nearly 10 years service.

I too was doubtful about the claims for Lithium and wondered about the exploding phones and aircraft but decided I'd take the plunge and bought a battery/charger package to try.

The thing is nothing short of astounding !It weighs nearly as much as an empty crisp packet and starts the bike instantly after more than a month unattended so I'm happy with that.

My Mille needs a new battery should I decide to unearth it from under the boxes and crap piled on it in the garage and there's only one way I'm going for that.  Another Lithium

Having seen the comments regarding some lead acid brands like Motobatt, then experiencing the weight difference and way the engine cranks it's a no brainer for me,Lithium everytime Thumbs Up

Perhaps I've just been lucky so far? who knows?  You can can only say it as you find it

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 03:18
is it true that these lithium ones will not work below a certain temp if so no good for the year round rider
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 07:36
Can't say,I rarely ride between Oct and March so never tried

Although we rarely get to what most people would equate to 'cold' in the UK

To my mind if you need anything heavier than a textile jacket and race gloves then it's time to use a car anyway Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 10:22
I think I will have to give one a go also can a battery have too much cca for a motor cycle I had a look at some this morning some had twice as much than some standard batteries 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic