rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Öhlins fork bottoms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Öhlins fork bottoms
    Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 14:26
Today is a sh*t day!

Anyone have an idea of price, availability and best place to get a pair of 03 Mille R radial Öhlins fork bottoms? It would seem some clown has over-torqued the pinch bolts at some point and fractured them. Not while the bike has been in my possession unfortunately so I have nobody to blame but myself for not checking on purchase. Guessing this is going to dent the bank balance.
Peter Harris View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 15:37
I read an article in a magazine some time ago, where someone had the crack welded up. They made the crack wider, filled it with a weld, filed it down, and it was undetectable.  Worth looking into Wink
I'D RATHER A FULL BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME, THAN A FULL FRONTAL LABOTOMY
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 15:58
I helped a mate swop one of his on a radial forked R some years ago. He got the bottom from an Ohlins dealer but not sure which. Was about £120 at the time but we are talking 8 or 9 years ago.

However it was a complete ass to change. We had to make a fork tube clamping jig out of wood and then it took lots of heat to break the thread lock. It got to the point that we thought we would break the forks as we were putting so much force into it and then suddenly it let go and was off.

Not for the feint hearted to change and without a clamp, forget it.
MumboJumbo View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumboJumbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 17:57
I've got a set of radial forks on an 04 Gen 1 I'm going to break. I wouldn't want to split the tops from bottoms so I'd be selling the forks complete. If you're interested let me know and we can go from there.
Cheers.
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 18:08
Think they are about 350 a piece. Some Ducati bottoms may be the same..

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
MumboJumbo View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumboJumbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 18:37
Oh I forgot to mention, I've got a receipt here for reconditioning of those forks - they had cracks and needed replacing. Cost of fork repair was £720 and they were done a couple of years ago.

Lateshift View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lateshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 19:04
I remember when a garage cracked a pair of mine under warranty, Aprilia just replaced both of the forks rather than messing about, i hate to think what that would have cost to a customer Cry
Previous owner to a 'shiny' Haga #150 & a shinier 05 Factory
blinkey501 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blinkey501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 19:56
Flatlander has a load of spares.
I have text him to send him to this postWink
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up.
flatlander View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 20:35
I do indeed :) pm me if you want any info
"Si me dices ven lo dejo todo ... pero dime ven"
MountainMan View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 21:21
Cheers Blinkey and Flatlander you have pm.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 21:25
Originally posted by MumboJumbo MumboJumbo wrote:

I've got a set of radial forks on an 04 Gen 1 I'm going to break. I wouldn't want to split the tops from bottoms so I'd be selling the forks complete. If you're interested let me know and we can go from there.
Cheers.

Leave it with me. I'm weighing up my options at the moment. A mate of mine has all the required kit to change them so cost of the bottoms or possibly upgrade ones is the deciding factor. Billet sounds good to try and stop it happening again...if I can find any that work. I'll let you know.
Drew View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 09:59
About £250 i think ,  there was a pair on ebay a couple of months ago , i dont know weather they sold , have both yours cracked as normally the left is the weak one as its thinner where the spindle is thicker that end .
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 10:57
Yep. Both. Left is worse than the right. I've emailed a few dealars to see if I can get a price. Braced for impact. Also found billet ones from igt-parts.de for about £600 for the pair. Can't find any info on them though. Not sure if they are a good idea or not.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 11:16

contact this seller on ebay they make billet fork bottoms see this ad to pm them..use google translate as they are italian

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:06
Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

contact this seller on ebay they make billet fork bottoms see this ad to pm them..use google translate as they are italian

Those are the ones igt are selling. Know anything about them? They do look bloody good.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:09

seen threads on ducati forums but none on aprilia

they do them as a conversion from axial to radial on ducatis so quite popular

how much are igt charging?

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:15
763 yoyos. I'd need to email them to check fit as conversions seem to be their thing as you say. Any idea if the radials are a different radius or anything from the axial?
SPOOKY View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
The scally!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPOOKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:20
Originally posted by MountainMan MountainMan wrote:

Today is a sh*t day!

Anyone have an idea of price, availability and best place to get a pair of 03 Mille R radial Öhlins fork bottoms? It would seem some clown has over-torqued the pinch bolts at some point and fractured them. Not while the bike has been in my possession unfortunately so I have nobody to blame but myself for not checking on purchase. Guessing this is going to dent the bank balance.

Last ones I got done for a forum member was by Kais and the cost was £280 (ish) per leg all in.

Careful on the aftermarket ones as they will not be able to take the adjusters on the front of the foot as they are unique to Aprilia Road and Race forks.

Laters

SPOOKY 
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:26

763 yoyos. I'd need to email them to check fit as conversions seem to be their thing as you say. Any idea if the radials are a different radius or anything from the axial?
yeah 2.5mm per side

so you have axial forks they probabaly do axial bottoms as well

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:40
Originally posted by SPOOKY SPOOKY wrote:

Today is a sh*t day!

<FONT style=": #000000"> 

<FONT style=": #000000">Last ones I got done for a forum member was by Kais and the cost was £280 (ish) per leg all in.

<FONT style=": #000000"> 

<FONT style=": #000000">Careful on the aftermarket ones as they will not be able to take the adjusters on the front of the foot as they are unique to Aprilia Road and Race forks.

<FONT style=": #000000">Laters

<FONT style=": #000000">SPOOKY 

Well that puts the tin hat on that then. Cheers Spooky.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:43
Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

yeah 2.5mm per side

so you have axial forks they probabaly do axial bottoms as well

Mine are radial. Just wondered if axial to radial conversion fork bottoms would work. I'll just go Öhlins as I reckon it will be less hassle. Nobody but me and my torque wrench will be allowed near the new ones. I've emailed Kais and Harris.
SPOOKY View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
The scally!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPOOKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:50
MM, drop them another email stating the number on the inside of the foot, it will start with "FG".
Believe it or not depending on the model number there is a difference of about £60 over three or four different listings.

Laters

SPOOKY
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 15:13
Part no is FG6901 2003.04.04 The latter part being the manufacture date I assume?
SPOOKY View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
The scally!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPOOKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 22:00

Part no is FG6901 2003.04.04 The latter part being the manufacture date I assume?

That's the one. Give Andy a call at Kais he has certain ones in stock, if not it's about a week to get hold of one.

Laters

SPOOKY
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic