rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Falco > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carbon Fibre fuel tanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 13:46
Yep I have the mould sitting all wrapped up in chinese silk and kept polished by the finest mould polishers in the land just waiting for the day I make another one.... 

Message me... I can get one made in about a week or so... I am just finishing a project with a major manufacturer for a show later this month... 
Timson View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 05:20
morepower - That’s great. 
I’m gonna have one last ditch attempt at making do and epoxying the distorted tank to level the surface where it mates up to the fuel pump. If that doesn’t work I’ll be in touch! 

Tim
morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:07
You may find the epoxy will just self release from the plastic.  Plastic especially the stuff the tanks is made from is very bad at having stuff stuck to it.. The paint has an aggressive volatile that attacks the plastic (bit like the glue you used to use as a kid making models that actually melted the surface of the plastic) and evaporates off when it dries. 

I was asked to fix a tank that had a leak a while ago and the adhesive the guy used set but was brittle so when it tightened up the pump it cracked and leaked. I just put a scalpel blade under the crack and it lifted off with almost no effort. The guy had keyed it with some 120 grit sand paper and it still came away really easily. The fuel got under the adhesive too which really did not help. So I would just try a test to check the epoxy is down really well and when it sets try and see how well it is stuck. Key a little area inside the tank and stick a blob of epoxy inside the tank on the bit you sanded. Once it is set see how hard it is to remove. If it can come away with your nail then its no going to work.. Really try and remove it and see how hard it has grabbed onto the surface.  Its worth a shot but I dont think it will work very well sadly.. Plastic is just not a great surface to bond too.. The adhesives that work best with plastics tend to attack and melt the surface and create a chemical bond not a mechanical one like most epoxies. You sort of need it to create a like for like material. Epoxies just sit on the surface. I use plastics and plastic tapes to stop the resin from sticking to things as a barrier all the time and they peel away really nicely but for you thats the opposite of what you need... 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 13:29
The best thing to do is dry the tank out properly,after the water evaporates from the nylon the tank will harden again and shrink back to normal size

In theory Smile     It takes a while to achieve this state though and will immediately start absorbing water from the ethanol fuel content again when you refill it

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 14:07
That's right Ian.

In some cases at AP, where the mating surface is warped on the tank for the pump, they heat it up using a heat gun or hairdryer and pull/ push/ manipulate it straight, using a flat edge for checking it's straight as they go. This is not to dry the tank, which takes time and ventilation, as you say.

The only ethanol free petrol in the UK (in most areas but not south west) now I THINK is Esso Synergy Supreme unleaded. I have just sent them an email to confirm this is still the case -and await a reply.
Question everything.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 14:51
I suppose the only safe way is a completely dried tank and an ethanol removal kitConfused
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 14:55
Originally posted by Diablo Diablo wrote:

That's right Ian.

In some cases at AP, where the mating surface is warped on the tank for the pump, they heat it up using a heat gun or hairdryer and pull/ push/ manipulate it straight, using a flat edge for checking it's straight as they go. This is not to dry the tank, which takes time and ventilation, as you say.

The only ethanol free petrol in the UK (in most areas but not south west) now I THINK is Esso Synergy Supreme unleaded. I have just sent them an email to confirm this is still the case -and await a reply.
My tank had warped like this and I did the same, used my heat gun and a pair of pipe grips heating and bending it flat with two smalls pics of wood.
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
Timson View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 02:23
My repair is not going to hold up.... As Morepower explained - about epoxy bonding (or not) to plastic.... When I torqued my fuel pump bolts (carefully and evenly - as per the manual), despite my new prrfectly level surface the epoxy cracked!
It’s sealed for now - but that won’t last!

I’m sick of draining and bodging this fuel tank...

Morepower - Dust off that Falco tank mould...PM incoming.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 16:25
Ok guys, got a message back from Esso and it's good news for most of us!

"Good morning Mr. Diablo,

Please be kindly informed that, Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland) and we have no current intention to add ethanol to Synergy Supreme+ in other areas of the UK."

I might do a quick thread to spread the word Wink
Question everything.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 16:57
I can't remember the last time I passed an esso station.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 17:15
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

I can't remember the last time I passed an esso station.

That's exactly what I thought Hemi
But if you go to their website and put in your postcode, it will tell you where your nearest ones are.

I'd post a link to it, but on my phone now and haven't a clue!
Question everything.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 17:17
There's 3 within 4 miles from me. Never noticed them Wink
Question everything.
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 18:39
There's one half a mile from me, I haven't used it in years because they used to make bikers remove their helmets before filling up. Maybe I should end the boycott.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 19:19
That annoys me as well but I decided if you can't beat them join them,so I generally remove my helmet whenever I refuel just to keep the peace before anyone asks.

After seeing videos of the moped riding scrotes infesting our cities I can see why compulsory helmet removal could end up as company policy for big chains.

Anyway, it's one thing finding a super unleaded pump but it's another matter entirely removing your pants and bending over for the privilege the way current prices are going. 

It's Trumps fault this time round apparently because his Iran policy is 'creating unrest'
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 19:20
Originally posted by FTM FTM wrote:

There's one half a mile from me, I haven't used it in years because they used to make bikers remove their helmets before filling up. Maybe I should end the boycott.
thing is in this day and age wth all the sh*ts committing crimes whilst wearing a cash helmet I don’t think it’s that big an issue anymore personally.

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 19:55
I've never been asked to remove my helmet when filling up (!! Wink)

I think it must be you southerners giving bikers a bad name! LOL

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 20:16
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

I've never been asked to remove my helmet when filling up (!! Wink)

I think it must be you southerners giving bikers a bad name! LOL

i Agree LOL

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
spiceweasel View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiceweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 21:37
Had a touch on a scrap weigh in, I think mine is starting in a week or two 👍👍👍😍😍
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 23:33
Originally posted by spiceweasel spiceweasel wrote:

Had a touch on a scrap weigh in, I think mine is starting in a week or two 👍👍👍😍😍
sweet!!!! Lucky guy they are ultimate bling 

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 21:56
Started Timson's tank today.. It has been a while since I made one from this mould so had to get my head round it due to the compound curves and try and get the side down without cutting it or using several pieces of carbon and still get it so the weave has no distortions. The only bit which has some distorted weave and a bit frustrating for me is the back edge near the fuel pump which is not so visible. But still I did try and to keep the distortion to a minimum...

morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 14:25
Sorry.. Friday was a bit of a mad one... So with getting stuff done and having to see two suppliers (luckily 3 miles apart) I was a bit of a slacker getting some photos posted up.. Today the mould is bolted together and ready for the backing layers. But now needs to be put into a vacuum bag over night to debulk. Which is simply using the vacuum to pull down the surface layer hard into the surface of the mould and pull as much trapped air away from the surface as possible. It has to be done after the surface layer has been put down as subsequent layers will just trap more and more air and it becomes harder to remove the trapped air. The problem when it is trapped is even in a full vacuum what is trapped stays there but expands causing more problems than it should. So we need to remove as much air as possible at each stage and this first layer is the most important. If it is microscopic air bubbles it should hopefully just get to flow away when the curing begins in the oven. Big bubbles may sit there or move too slowly through the multiple layers. Then as it cures and the resin sets they become set in the part and cause issues with the surface finish and possibly cause bumps under the very thin layer of resin. 

So hopefully tomorrow the shell will be laid up ready for the oven. I hope to have the surface layer down on the base too so by Thursday the shell and base will be made ready to trim and then bond together after sealing the inside of the tank. 

Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 16:43
that is a work of art - too good to use !
Timson View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 22:31
Looking great!.. Amazing to see it come to life and all the stages you have to go through.

There’s some serious graft goes into these tanks!!

Tim

morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:40
The base surface layers are going on today so then I can get all of the backing done tomorrow ready to start bonding it together later this week.. 
morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 17:48
Tank base laid up and bagged ready for backing layers tomorrow.. 

morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 14:11
Sorry no update yesterday.... I was busy working on it, honest, I just had to remember a few things which were peculiar to this tank and re-do a couple of things..

It is not bonded or sealed yet.. It is just trimmed and dry fitted together..

You will notice the fuel pump hole has not been cut yet either. I still have to drill and bond in the inserts so it will have this section of mould fitted back in place to use as the jig. The mould has inserts in the correct places but I found you cannot put the inserts into place and bag it up as the bag will puncture over the high spots. So it is done afterwards but before it is all bonded into place. The steel tube will also be sealed into place next so no fuel can work its way out of the area where the pivot tube runs. 
Timson View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 14:22
That looks absolutely amazing!!! Clap

Can’t wait to get my hands on this beauty!

Tim
morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 00:19
So waiting or the resin to seal and bond the tank to arrive and tank number 11 is about to be started... 

Been asked to try and put the 11 on/in the tank so here I go... Here is a decal applied to the mould to give the number on the tank as an embossed number.  Hope it works.. Will find out later this week...

I have a bit of juggling to do this week as I also have to make a tank cover for this little project..

morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 22:19
A quick update for @spiceweasel. 

The number 11 is down and safe I hope..

The surface layers are down and tomorrow I will bag it over the weekend as I do have to finish off the Royal Enfield tank cover for Monday. Its only a cover but its a big project for them at the moment.. 

So will be getting on with it on Monday and it should be a tank shell with a base by Thursday. The sealer resin arrived today so Timson's tank will be sealed and assembled by midweek also. 

spiceweasel View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiceweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 06:38
Getting excited now,it just so happens my birthday is on the 11th  so it was meant to be 😎
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic