rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mille 2003

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Briscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mille 2003
    Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 20:49
When I rev my mille around 9000 in second the engine cuts out.          I was accelerating quite hard on a motorway slip road when this happened just as I was about to change gear     Not nice when your not expecting it     All thoughts great fully received
fredm View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 09:58
Sounds like you hit the rev limiter which I believe is set to 9500 / 10,000 rpm.
If that is the case I don't think you can do anything about it.

Change up sooner is all I can suggest, I think you will find you will get to where your going quicker. Wink
Warms View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 10:02
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Originally posted by fredm fredm wrote:

Sounds like you hit the rev limiter which I believe is set to 9500 / 10,000 rpm.
If that is the case I don't think you can do anything about it.

Change up sooner is all I can suggest, I think you will find you will get to where your going quicker. Wink
If yer a King or a little road sweeper sooner or later you'll dance with the Reaper.
   www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 10:40
The Rev limiter won't let the engine cut out it will stutter(well it does on mine) and it should Rev to about 10.500,I set my dash light to 9000 as it's pointless revving them out.
Neil Briscoe View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Briscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 11:27
Thanks guys I'm glad to hear it isn't a major problem this is my first twin sounds like I need to learn how to ride it
Slackey View Drop Down
Forum Draw Master
Forum Draw Master
The Draw meister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slackey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 11:42
So did the engine cut out altogether? Or did it just hit the Rev limiter?

Have you go a QS fitted?
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
twintorque View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintorque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 12:25
as mentioned am sure they will rev out to 10,500 (even though it's pointless) if it's completely cutting out at 9 not just stuttering it sounds like an underlying fault somewhere
four wheels move the body....two wheels move the soul!!

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
MountainMan View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 13:20
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the rev limiter not set by the eprom? Possible that whatever one is in it is a bit premature? 9k is a bit low.
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Briscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 21:59
It felt as though I had hit the kill switch the rev needle bounced about then it all came back to normal excuse my ignorance but whats a qs. Ps it's my first mille actually it's my first twin
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Briscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 22:06
It all happened so fast one min powering on next min heavy engine breaking           Been out on bike today rode it more conservatively changed quicker and it seemed fine     This bike is lovely just back of the mind wondering if it is going to happen again when I'm not expecting it I'll get it checked out on rolling road I think
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 22:29
QS=quick shifter.
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Briscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 22:38
Thanks        Quick shifter that's what it means     Don't know haven't long had the bike hardly looked at it just want to ride it.      I think it's standard apart from akrapovic end can and chip and open air box
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Briscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 22:39
The chip is a custom EPROM
camngetit View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camngetit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 09:03
Adjusting the shift light doesn't change the limiter
This is set at about 10500rpm which like has been said is set in the ecu
its twins for me !!!!
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Lateshift View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lateshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 09:52
The light has nothing to do with how far it will rev, it is not a limiter it is just a visual indicator that tells you when to change gear, this is why it is adjustable.

There should be no reason for the bike to be cutting out when the light comes on be it at 2500, 4000 or 9000 rpm as it has nothing whatsoever to do with the ignition circuit from what i can see???
Previous owner to a 'shiny' Haga #150 & a shinier 05 Factory
Lateshift View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lateshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 10:01
From what i can tell the Gen 1 bikes have a hard limiter in which case if you have been nailing the throttle hard in second and it has cut out then there is every chance that you may have actually revved out beyond 9000 to the 10500 limit (are you 100% positive that it hadn't already hit the limiter when you looked down and saw 9000 rpm??).

In doing so it is quite possible that with it being a hard limiter it just cut the engine given how aggressively you were accelerating, something you don't want to be doing to often either.

To my way of thinking for it be appearing to be hitting the limiter at 9000 consistently then i would have thought that it was either an ECU problem but more likely a TPS one surely? (given that the TPS on most bikes is a common enough problem).

But the light should have nothing to do with it Smile
Slackey View Drop Down
Forum Draw Master
Forum Draw Master
The Draw meister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slackey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 10:46
The light definitely has nothing to do with the limiter. It is just a visual indicator as said.

Many times I have had the battery off my bike and then when refitted I have forgot to set the limiter. It defaults to 6000 rpm, the bike will still Rev out to beyond 9-10k but they light just flashes like mad from 6k onwards. Other than it being annoying it has no effect. I set my light to 9k so it flashes before the limiter is hit.

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Lateshift View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lateshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 11:08
I was always under the impression that any shift light 'should' ideally be set to the point in the rev range where the engine makes it's best power, that way when you shift to the next gear you maintain acceleration.

Handy if you have had the bike on a dyno and you are able to see where the change or shift point should be, but for the road I also just throw it up to around 9000rpm as there is absolutely no need for me to be thrashing the tits out of the engine Smile
Slackey View Drop Down
Forum Draw Master
Forum Draw Master
The Draw meister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slackey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 11:15
It's very difficult to set the Rev light to the exact point on the RSV, the way it creeps up when setting it and then continues to move a bit when the button is pressed makes it almost impossible.

Like you say for the road setting it around 9-9500 is the best way.
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 11:45
Originally posted by Slackey Slackey wrote:

It's very difficult to set the Rev light to the exact point on the RSV, the way it creeps up when setting it and then continues to move a bit when the button is pressed makes it almost impossible.

Eh? If you repeatedly press the button it goes up in increments. Unless you want to set it at 10473rpm it's straightforward enough to get it where you want it.
Stevieonit View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevieonit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 12:15
Check the tps to make sure it's set correctly that could cause a problem
I'm onit !!!! 02 rsv & 10 R1
Www.smithsracing.co.uk
Slackey View Drop Down
Forum Draw Master
Forum Draw Master
The Draw meister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slackey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by MountainMan MountainMan wrote:

Originally posted by Slackey Slackey wrote:

Eh? If you repeatedly press the button it goes up in increments. Unless you want to set it at 10473rpm it's straightforward enough to get it where you want it.

I haven ever tried repeatedly pressing the button, I will give them to a go later, everyday is a school day.....cheers mate
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
twintorque View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintorque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 13:13
I think the key is to press it as slowly as you can get away with, obviously not too much delay between presses or it'll take that point as light flash point and the needle will drop to the bottom.
four wheels move the body....two wheels move the soul!!

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 14:11
I think it moves up 100 rpm per press
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 14:16
Originally posted by Lateshift Lateshift wrote:

I was always under the impression that any shift light 'should' ideally be set to the point in the rev range where the engine makes it's best power, that way when you shift to the next gear you maintain acceleration.

What you actually want is to change so that you are at max torque in the next gear when you change. It doesn't always work as it depends on gear ratios but that's the ideal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic