Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feel free to snigger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feel free to snigger
    Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 14:43
I thought Id give the old girl a bid of attention. Ive done the replacement levers and clutch cylinder and the new rear sets from AP are mint so what else to do? I know, those original paddock stands have always been a bit dodgy so Ill replace them with so nice new R and G ones.

My mate Geoff (a lurker on this site) says "take care Stu cos when I changed mine they were seized and I had to use a blow lamp to get them off"

With this in mind I make sure I use plenty of penetrating oil each night while Im waiting for R and G to deliver. I also get a nice new allen key. Im taking no chances with this after the crash bung debacle.

Any whoo, the bobbins arrive so I set to work. Easy does it, plenty of tea and light. How hard can this be? Well, the first one comes out a treat. No issues. Coppaslip the new one and on she goes. Perfect.

Now for the right hand side. This one refuses to budge. More penetrating oil. Blow lamp. Still wont budge and the inevitable happens. The key rounds off the hole. Bugger. OK, dont panic. Break out the easy out. Drill central hole and apply eaziout. Gently does it. Bugger. The bolt head snapped off.

Stop, drink tea, scratch head. I can get two nuts on to the remaining bolt. Tighten them up and....Bollox, stripped the treads.

Pull out the mole grips. Still no joy. So I think there is nothing else to do but drill the bugger out.

OK Stu, take it steady. start small and work up. Drill bit snaps flush. Bastid!

Cant drill THAT out. Luckily there is enough meat in the swinger to drill another hole real close to the original, not perfect but no other choice. Hole drilled with no drama but realise I dont have the right tap which means I will need to buy one. 

The only place that sells them locally is the place my ex phsyco wife works at.

There must be at least one lesson to be learnt in there but at least I can put the bobbin on

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 15:54
 its all leading you to meet with the EX for some reason!!!!!!!
but i hate it when crap like this happens

hows this just had some plastering done at home 2 of the original radiator bracket holes were still there on the old plaster ,so i take measurements off the back of the radiator . transfer these to the wall drill the holes ,fit brackets...hang the rad...sorted!

f**king pipe work wont reach the rad to screw on?????????????????

how the hell...same brackets ,same rad ,same pipework Angry

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 16:13
all this is why i attempt NO diy lol.
however simple it seems,this sh*t ALWAYS happens.
whatever can go wrong,does goes wrong!

Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 16:20
Originally posted by BIG UN BIG UN wrote:

Ahmen to that, Brother!Confused

davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 16:26
Got taps Stu if you need them.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 16:28
Originally posted by BIG UN BIG UN wrote:

just spent the last 5 weekends stripping all the render off the front of the house,raking out the pointing,repointing,waterproofing,casting new window sills,dug out and poured concrete drainage gulleys and soak away ...just need to cart away 30 bags of rubble and i'm done ..and i had a mate helping!!!

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
j180 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 16:42
A blow tourch was needed to get the bobbins off my swinging arm. One fell to bits when I took it off the paddock stand
Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 16:54
Originally posted by davidrsurfer davidrsurfer wrote:

Got taps Stu if you need them.

Cheers Dave. I've got the tap I need now. 

Dazzer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Scally

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 17:34
Ditto what BIGUN Says, that's why I always get spooky to do anything on my bike
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 17:52
I'm dreading pulling my bike apart after Christmas.....just know there will be loads of bits stuck etc.

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 18:06
lol,when i last fitted my k&n filter to the fireblade,
simple job,no bother i thought lol.
ended up snapping off the fuel tap/reserve thingy putting tank back on ffs,
#have to put tank on and feed the tap back through the hole in the frame,
nightmare on yer own in a little shed with a tank of fuel lol.

always end up thinking the bike was fine,should have just left it alone or took it to a proper fella that knows what the fek he's doing rather than saving a few a quid which works out dearer in the end.

a mans gotta know his limits lol.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 18:24
That'll learn ya Stu for not taking it apart more often like what I does.

I have taps if you still need some and thus avoiding ex from burying said tap into your forehead.
felix View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 21:17
If you still have some of the original bolt / screw showing (ie when you were going to put 2 nuts on buthe the threads were chuffed) then try one of these :

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251734185774?nav=SEARCH

They are a life saver !

:)
GingerWhinger View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerWhinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 21:22
While we are "confessing" for others to snigger at...
Over the last few weeks I've been hearing the odd knocking noise from the chimney breast in the bedroom. Started sometimes in the day, sometimes through the night. It got louder and more frequent. Had a word with the neighbours - luckily I was polite despite not having slept much three nights running. They thought it was coming from our side. WTF?
After another sleepless night decided - F**k this for a game of soldiers. Went up on the roof as soon as it got light (we live n a bloody tall old Victorian building!!) much to the wife's displeasure. I honestly didn't realise she cared after she upped my life insurance.
After chasing off some pissed off crows and emptying two nests out of the disused chimney pots I found it. It was only an old slate plate the grout had fallen out of and the wind was rattling in back and forward.
Anyway, while I was up there I decided to tidy up a bit. I replaced one of mine and one of my neighbours tiles that slipped out of place and ripped off an old aerial that had partly fallen down.
Went to work feeling quite proud of myself and looking forward to getting home and getting a good nights sleep.
It was quite stormy that night but it wasn't until Saturday where I said to myself "Why the hell did I get rid of Sky? This BT is crap. I can't get any of the normal channels"
You know that feeling you get when you think "You complete and utter f**kwit"
I had only gone and ripped off the aerial and hurled it down onto the lawn.
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 05:29
lol back up you go haha.
see,90% of us should touch fook all!
just leave it alone or get some bugger in.
the diy sos tv show was hilarious but proved a big point!
all them numptys that had shot themselves with nail guns
or nearly beheaded themselves up trees with chainsaws.

and all their houses looked shocking,like homer simpson had been at it ffs.
no running water or heating for years lol
but in their heads,they were brill at diy and thought theyd saved £1000's lol

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 07:34
Oops back up on the roof then ...and a new Ariel to buy as well

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 09:42
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

That'll learn ya Stu for not taking it apart more often like what I does.

I have taps if you still need some and thus avoiding ex from burying said tap into your forehead.

Cheers Col. You know my Ex and what she is capable of.Angry

Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 09:44
Originally posted by GingerWhinger GingerWhinger wrote:

I had only gone and ripped off the aerial and hurled it down onto the lawn.

Classic!!!LOLLOL

Update.

I have now fitted the offending Bobbin. I drilled and tapped a new hole right up against the welded in stubb of the old one. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic