rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will a Gen 1 Stator Fit a Gen 2 engine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will a Gen 1 Stator Fit a Gen 2 engine?
    Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 14:17
As above really! I have the offer of a stator from a Gen 1 bike for my Gen 2, will it fit?

Thanks in advance!

Simon
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 18:14

Physically almost the same although the connectors are different but Gen1 stator has winding capacity of 380w whereas Gen 2 is 500w so it's debatable how long it will last.

I suspect you would be re visiting it fairly soon but hard to tell.

Fuzzy View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 06:57
Thanks for the reply Spoonz. I don't fully understand electrics, I assume the worry would be that the magnets would produce more power than the stator can cope with and burn it out quickly again?

Cheers - Simon
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 10:20
Originally posted by Fuzzy Fuzzy wrote:

Thanks for the reply Spoonz. I don't fully understand electrics, I assume the worry would be that the magnets would produce more power than the stator can cope with and burn it out quickly again?

Cheers - Simon

Yes exactly that. The output of the stator is constant it's not demand dependant so if the windings are lacking it will find the weakness pretty quickly. It's more down to whether the wire in the windings can take the heat.

If the guage of wire on the gen1 stator is man enough it may last but i don't know if it is the same guage off the top of my head as a gen 2. I do know most of the aftermarket version (electrex etc) had big problems as they quickly found that the wire guage that would survive a gen 1 would not survive a gen2 and had to uprate it.

If it's cheap enough it might be worth a punt and be the guinea pig.

Fuzzy View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 19:04
Well I have decided to have a try with it, it's cheap enough that if it doesn't last then I won't have lost out too much!

Just need to wait for the new rectifier to arrive from the states now!!
gixxerniknik View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gixxerniknik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 21:10
Sorry to revive such an old post. But did it last? If so, how long for. And what reg/rec did you use?
Ta.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 16:50
The Stator does fit and work. 

But as Spoonz said it will still burn out. As to how quick or slow over a 500w one is pure luck. They are cheap (380 Gen1 and Falco) but require a wiring mod to fit. Cutting and splicing but it’s straightforward. 

No need to change reg provided its operating correctly. 

Only full time fix for a Gen2 costs £1100 in parts alone and uses a 380w stator plus the stator flywheel off the later Gen2 engines.  

I know of at least two who have done this on early Gen2’s and whilst one still burnt out it was cheap and easy to replace and much much cheaper. If you’re using it a lot and plan to keep for ever more I’d go the permanent fix. If not give it a go. 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 18:29
cheesy is the man to ask about this 

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gixxerniknik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 16:25
I had an '05 RSVR that I replaced the stator twice on, with units from Ricks with the old reg/rec.  They both lasted over 15k which I thought was ok. But my 07 factory isn't so lucky. I'm just looking for a cheapish option rather than pay Aprilia lots of money to fix a problem which I look at as theirs in the first place.
Oh well.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gixxerniknik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 16:31
Actually, just had a thought, does the V4's have the same problem? if not, do the stator and magnets fit our problem gen2s? The v4 units are a lot cheaper on the bay.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 18:17
The early V4 ones had a stator issue also. 

And no I don’t believe they fit. 

Gen1 stator (or Gen2) your cheapest option and just be prepared for burnout. As you say 15k is actually pretty respectable in the long run. And £80 for a usable unit if you are capable like yourself of doing the job I’d just do that each time during ownership. 

As I said earlier, I did it the proper way for over £1k and then sold the bike as it was now surplus to me. Id probably only covered 200 miles on it and wish I’d just stuck a Gen1 stator in. 
I’ve a spare Gen1 stator if you require one but I’ve not tested it but if you wish, cover the postage and it’s yours to try. 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gixxerniknik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 18:37
That's a huge offer, thanks.
I'll take you up on it if I may? PM sent.
MikeyR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 19:47
I popped a Gen 1 into my Gen 2 a couple of months back, just some really simple wiring workaround needed & all has been OK. Covered approx. 1200 miles since, I keep checking the voltage in a slightly paranoid way and it always shows 14.2 - 14.5 V. 

I guess only time will tell if it lasts......
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gixxerniknik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 20:20
Hiya Mikey,
did you stick with the standard aprilia oem reg/rec?
That's what I am intending to do this time around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic