rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collector finished

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philly46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 13:46
Something, something, 2-2 FTW. Not biased.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 14:12
Indeed,BUT the race systems using the original modded collectors ran a massive link pipe  mated to a special big bore Akro can to make it give the increases.

Somewhat of conflict there Scott?
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Johnboy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 14:53
Originally posted by kiwi_rsvr kiwi_rsvr wrote:

Yuse boyz are missing a bit of info - backpressure.

Didn't like to comment, but I was thinking the same thing.
Back pressure improves torque and free flow improves revs, is that a basic truth?
Obviously there's a balance on how much back pressure, but it's the reason we are told not to use stubby pipes on a twin, correct?

Discuss!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 16:06
As a general factor then yes,back pressure comes into play BUT I repeat,the original modded collectors which Mark so ably now recreates was somewhat different.

The link pipe was considerably larger bore than standard and I'll search again for the info I dug up on this,which was well before Mark started providing this service, to be able to quote the exact spec but I'm almost sure it was 70mm Dia.

This needed a special Kit Akra can as there were none available with such a large bore.

Now if Aprilia and Akra decided the engines needed such a large link pipe/can combo I'm inclined to go along with the theory.

And apart from that it looks just plain wrong,the twin systems have individual link pipes around the same dia as that single ,plus they have twice the outlet capacity due to twin cans.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 20:23
Originally posted by camngetit camngetit wrote:

I have the titanium Evo can and the link pipe stays the same dia as the exit
me too!!!!!!!

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 20:28
So does mine LOL

Wonder what it would be like tapering up to 70mm through the can though?

Of course in those days people liked bikes to sound like bikes,not like sewing machines like now Cry
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

camngetit View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camngetit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 23:57
I have read up on this as I have always read on here about back pressure being needed . I did an exhaust training course and articles I've read on the net and they all say the same all exhausts are designed to get gases out as fast as poss and the aim is zero back pressure , the thing that changes through bore size and length is the pulses these are what help scavenge the cyl and change torque and power positions
Well that's what I was told and read anyway
its twins for me !!!!
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 07:26
Originally posted by camngetit camngetit wrote:

I have read up on this as I have always read on here about back pressure being needed . I did an exhaust training course and articles I've read on the net and they all say the same all exhausts are designed to get gases out as fast as poss and the aim is zero back pressure , the thing that changes through bore size and length is the pulses these are what help scavenge the cyl and change torque and power positions
Well that's what I was told and read anyway
yep i think you hit the nail on the head with the pulses...probably more important on a twin...the mille needs to brethe big bore all the way woo hoo

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic