rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clocks keep resetting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clocks keep resetting
    Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 22:58
Hmmmmm..... My goddam clocks keep resetting to kph and the rev limit warning light keeps defaulting to about 5,000 rpm (not sure exactly wot rpm but thereabouts). Which is annoying. Doesn't happen when riding, just after starting up. But not always. The bike is on an Optimiser. I assume that these values are the default settings and all that's happening si I have a poor connection somewhere that breaks the power connection to the clocks? Anyone else have this prob? 2000 RSV mille
v8-powered View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v8-powered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 07:23
The cranking current required to turn the motor over is dropping the voltage below the threshold required to keep the clocks powered. Most probably your battery is on its way out even though it is kept on the optimiser. Get a YTX14BS from eBay for about £25 and the problem will most likely go away... Stuart.
andod2h View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andod2h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 09:32
also, once you have turned the ign key on , if you are too hasty and thumb the starter before the ign primes it will reset the dash too. Happened to me a few times,right royal PITA!!
Murdoch View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 11:18
I luv yoo guys! My suspicions were toward the battery but didn't quite see how it could be happening, as whilst I can weild a spanner I know nothing about the dark arts. Makes sense tho V8 - I've noticed that the battery needs a slight charge before maintaining even after a long run (Gawd help me its not the genny...) Thanks a lot PS does the battery code YTX14BS denote the battery physical dimensions as well as amp rating? ie will it fit my bike? There's one advertised on eBay but it doesn't list the bieks it will fit.
v8-powered View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v8-powered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 12:15
A YTX14 is a 14Ah battery as opposed to the standard 12Ah. It should fit the 98-00 models with no trouble, I believe that you have to fit the 98-00 battery clamp if fitting to a 00-03 model. I have one fitted on my 98/99 model bike.
andod2h View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andod2h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 12:46
also mate, I dont really like those oxford optimisers, me and a mate have had them both fail. Get a datatool one , you shouldnt have to change up to a higher rated(often taller) batt, if you keep it on a decent charger. Of course if its a dying batt you are better off replacing it anyways.[:)]
Lateshift View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lateshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 13:12
Actually the higher rated battery is recommended because a V twin takes a bit more to crank it over [;)] A 12ah battery is just about the minimum that these engines will use, why use one of them and run the risk of killing the battery? Never had a problem with the batteries on mine admittedly, never had to use an Optimate on them either but i know plenty that have. Nothing wrong at all with the Optimiser either, it has pretty much the same charging circuit as the Datatool one. There is no rocket science behind battery power or chargers, they do what they say they do, its just that Aprilia for what its worth used a battery with too low a cranking power for it to be reliable whilst powering other stuff at the turning of the ignition key. 06 RSVR
jay g View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 16:45
Makes you wonder why Aprilia stopped using the better 14 amp battery.All the early milles have the better 14amp one as standard ,but post 2000 milles all got the 12 amp one....Dont figure[xx(]
Lateshift View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lateshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 17:29
quote:
Originally posted by jay g
Makes you wonder why Aprilia stopped using the better 14 amp battery.All the early milles have the better 14amp one as standard ,but post 2000 milles all got the 12 amp one....Dont figure[xx(]
Probably cost due to the 12ah battery being able to do the job, the fact that in the UK most need to put and alarm on doesnt make much difference to them unfortunately [;)] 06 RSVR
bubseywoo View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubseywoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 21:26
My battery seemed fine but then over a period of a week it decided to die !!! It was a 12v jobby...standard issue & kept on an optimiser. I have an 04 rsvr & I have now fitted the 14v battery mentioned above...what a difference. The only point that was a bit awkward was that the new battery is taller so the original clamp doesn't fit so I made an extension so that the original clamp is still useable..job done. I must mention that I have never had a problem with the optimser chargers , I have one on my Hayabusa & it has always been fine. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic