rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter motor rebuild parts from where

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Throbbing-Twin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter motor rebuild parts from where
    Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 18:16
Ok so today my bike is being a pig again. Recently had a new big battery plus the big 150amp solinoid and today its started being very hesitant and sluggish on the start. Battery and solinoid all testing fine so gonna have to pull the starter out and give it a rebuild plus check connections etc. Was wondering if anyone can suggest or recommend where to get the bits. I've seen the kits for £100 plus but was wondering if anyone has done a rebuild for less. Looks like I will need the outer o-ring that seals starter motor to engine and the 2 o-rings that go each end of the starter casing. Also has anybody found replacement brushes anywhere. All advice appreciated.
If its not broken then fix it until it is
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 18:27
Originally posted by Throbbing-Twin Throbbing-Twin wrote:

Ok so today my bike is being a pig again. Recently had a new big battery plus the big 150amp solinoid and today its started being very hesitant and sluggish on the start. Battery and solinoid all testing fine so gonna have to pull the starter out and give it a rebuild plus check connections etc. Was wondering if anyone can suggest or recommend where to get the bits. I've seen the kits for £100 plus but was wondering if anyone has done a rebuild for less. Looks like I will need the outer o-ring that seals starter motor to engine and the 2 o-rings that go each end of the starter casing. Also has anybody found replacement brushes anywhere. All advice appreciated.

If it is the starter I would just buy a good used one rather than a rebuild. Never really heard of much in the way of problems with them so the chances of buying a Lemon would be fairly small.
Throbbing-Twin View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Throbbing-Twin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 18:54
That was what I looked at first lol but can't seem to find one for what I consider a fair price lol. Not even had the bike a month and its already costing me more to keep running than my old Ducati.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 19:05
Your paying the price for the previous owners neglect unfortunately.

I wouldn't dive in on the starter until you are sure it's at fault. You sure it's not a cabling issue meaning it's not getting the full juice.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 19:17

Just spoke to Griff and he thinks he has a used starter, to you about £30 ish notes plus the postage.

Now that's a deal.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Throbbing-Twin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 19:20
May be a cable fault or bad earth but will get investigated before I go too far. Had very similar problems on 2 previous bikes. I'm a fussy bugger and like to try and have everything working perfectly and that normally means I end up stripping and servicing and rebuilding as many parts as possible over a matter of months from switchgear to fans and from fork seals to all bearings lol. I don't know why I do it but I like to know the condition of every part of my bike so that if something does fail then its easier to diagnose if that makes sense.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 19:24
Fussy bugger, me too.

You fixed that rear light yet ?
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Throbbing-Twin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 19:25
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Just spoke to Griff and he thinks he has a used starter, to you about £30 ish notes plus the postage.

Now that's a deal.

Now that does seem a fair price. Think I will do some tests tomorrow and see what I find but will probably buy it anyway lol. Trying to save money to get my oil cooler off to Griff for a refurb as only got a temp one on at the moment but every time I get paid something else goes wrong first lol.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Throbbing-Twin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 19:28
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Fussy bugger, me too.

You fixed that rear light yet ?

Not yet lol. It is definately the led unit at fault. Got an original coming in the post so gonna swap over once I get it. Will chuck some red bulbs in that I have and use the clear lenses. Might just try and repair the led unit another day lol.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 20:21
Regarding the starter,I think I recall reading somewhere that a good blow out with an airline will probably dislodge a load of carbon dust of the brushes that may be causing them to stick.

Worth a try anyway.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Throbbing-Twin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 21:01
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Regarding the starter,I think I recall reading somewhere that a good blow out with an airline will probably dislodge a load of carbon dust of the brushes that may be causing them to stick.

Worth a try anyway.

Another reason why I was after the 3 o-rings. Rebuilt a few over the years that just simply needed a good clean and worked fine after.
Backo View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Backo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 16:19
Originally posted by Throbbing-Twin Throbbing-Twin wrote:

I'm a fussy bugger and like to try and have everything working perfectly and that normally means I end up stripping and servicing and rebuilding as many parts as possible over a matter of months...

Same one here, so glad it's not only me.
Have you figured out the size of the o-rings? It would be really helpful to source them before the strip started.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Throbbing-Twin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 17:36
Not had time to strip it yet as sourced a good one from Griff for a fair price. Still planning to strip and rebuild the other one when I get time. When I do get round to it I will measure up and post details here. Will also give details of where I buy from if I find somewhere. Start button has since failed and had a clean out and rebuild and now all is good and starts fine every time (touch wood) lol.
Loudish Les View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loudish Les Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 21:51
I reckon a strip down,blow out then clean and maybe polish the comm would be ok,carbon dust is a killer with DC motors,Iam going to strip and clean mine before the season kicks off coz it was sounding a little "lazy" last year even with the upgrades (Solenoid and big battery)
Les Tap

Loud pipes ?,Ive sh*t em
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 22:32
'ello Les, where you bin hiding?
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Loudish Les View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loudish Les Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 23:19
Lost my biking mojo a little Ian plus a few "health" issues so couldnt really be arsed logging on if you catch my drift
Les Tap

Loud pipes ?,Ive sh*t em
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 23:23
Think I've arrived at much the same point Les,can't be arsed road riding much these days,I'd much rather do trackdays every so often, hope your "health issues" clear up.

Not deafness caused by loud pipes was it? LOL
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic