rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Your Bike
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it really progress for Joe Bloggs???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it really progress for Joe Bloggs???
    Posted: 26 May 2013 at 20:17
I love bikes, all sorts, and this comment will bring lots of personal comments.
But is a faster harder more tuned gen1 any less a bike than a faster harder tuned gen2 or RSV4?
Personally I think not, even a standard mille is more than a match for most roads, and most riders with limited speed limits.
So, the rub is, why do I and many many lovers of bikes spend our hat earned on bling, glitz, pub bragging rights?
Post your reasons here.
I'll go first,     'Cos it makes me feel alive!!!!!
gregorious77 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregorious77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 20:19
because I can and I like to hang out in my man cave.
Johnboy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 20:25
Originally posted by gregorious77 gregorious77 wrote:

because I can and I like to hang out in my man cave.

I'm totally with ya!!!!!
w00dzy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w00dzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 21:15
Johny 5 alive!

Agree with both of you plus its nice to make improvements and to learn to rode something slightly different each mod at a time..

I used to ride my mtb as a kid every day without fail and loved changing components and settings.. I think its more a frame of mind and enjoying that time in the man cave!

caza View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 21:25
Its the must have better than the joneses mentality if you ask me , like everyone I like my bike to look nice and to go well but I honestly cant say I have used it or will use it to its full  capability but the world would be very boring if we all had to ride Honda 90 s ( or would it ? )
don't put your finger where you wouldn't put your c*ck
Johnboy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 21:31
Originally posted by caza caza wrote:

Its the must have better than the joneses mentality if you ask me , like everyone I like my bike to look nice and to go well but I honestly cant say I have used it or will use it to its full  capability but the world would be very boring if we all had to ride Honda 90 s ( or would it ? )

I agree! Keep em coming!!
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 21:55
Simple this one.

A bike is about more than the ride.  Many owners of anything cars. bikes etc will take form over function when buying because you love to own something that makes you feel good to own. Tweaking it and adding bits is an extension of that and often undoing the compromises you made in buying it. (bigger screen, better seat, lowering it etc) even if sometimes it offers very little to the betterment of the bike or you. Obviously having a great bike to ride and great looks out of the box would be the ideal but there is always something newer and edgier you aspire to but can't afford so you continue to fettle what you have.

There will be some that don't care how it looks or handles and just ride it. But for most of us they would be like the ugly bird you might take home with beer goggles on. She might have huge jugs and a good shag but you wouldn't wanna introduce her to your mates or have to look at day in day out.

I actually enjoy pulling my bike apart almost as much as riding it. Sometimes more if i have a eurica moment.
NickyBoy1984 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 22:08
I love tinkering about with my bike just as much as riding it......

But most of the time I just perv over the exhausts Hahahahahahahahaha LOL

NickyBoy Big smile
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Johnboy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 22:22
I agree and I love my pipe !!!
NickyBoy1984 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 22:24
Originally posted by Johnboy Johnboy wrote:

I agree and I love my pipe !!!

I love your pipe too Hahahahaha LOL

NickyBoy Big smile
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Johnboy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 22:44
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Simple this one.

A bike is about more than the ride.  Many owners of anything cars. bikes etc will take form over function when buying because you love to own something that makes you feel good to own. Tweaking it and adding bits is an extension of that and often undoing the compromises you made in buying it. (bigger screen, better seat, lowering it etc) even if sometimes it offers very little to the betterment of the bike or you. Obviously having a great bike to ride and great looks out of the box would be the ideal but there is always something newer and edgier you aspire to but can't afford so you continue to fettle what you have.

There will be some that don't care how it looks or handles and just ride it. But for most of us they would be like the ugly bird you might take home with beer goggles on. She might have huge jugs and a good shag but you wouldn't wanna introduce her to your mates or have to look at day in day out.

I actually enjoy pulling my bike apart almost as much as riding it. Sometimes more if i have a eurica moment.

I love your response spoonze, I hoped for a real heartful response, and got one.
We are all passionate about our hobby and in so glad to hear it.
rossie View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 23:09
Sometimes, the best thing about our religious bike loving is that others (car drivers in particular) haven't a clue what we're on about. Riding thru France with a tent on the back, or fettling in our mancave, they just don't see it. Lovely.
Wavestarved View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wavestarved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 06:46
I reckon as bikers/motorcyclists you are inherently more predisposed to the desire to maintain, tune, fettle, understand, and improve your machine, I reckon for one thing with bikes it's about a self preservation thing as much as anything else, these things are dangerous anyway so you need the bike to be as well maintained and sorted in case you have to call on it to get you out of a squeeze, proper working brakes and well set up sussies etc. a chain that ain't gonna snap or get jammed and lock up the rear wheel. The joy of mc ownership for me has always been as much about fettling, learning and playing in the garage as it is about riding.
I have a theory about drivers, and follow my thinking whenever I'm out; I reckon that anyone who owns a Nissan micra, or any of those horrid wee Korean mini cars should be taken off the road and never allowed to drive again, not because their cars are sh*t, though they are, but because if you have so little interest in cars that you actually bought one of these things, it follows that you also have no interest in driving, no interest = no idea. Never sit behind or in front of a Nissan micra, as soon as I can I'm gone.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 07:08
But also some people buy small cheap cars cause it saves them money to spend on their bikes.
Moschops View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moschops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 07:31
Everyone keeps talking about their Mancave? I'm lucky to have a Mandraw!!!
Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional!
Moschops View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moschops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 07:36
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

But also some people buy small cheap cars cause it saves them money to spend on their bikes.

[IMG]http://[/IMG]
I was told get a cheap car for work, you can get another bike!
Easy choice ( hate the car though, but it gets me to work when it's raining!)
Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional!
andirsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andirsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 08:43
To make an already great thing better!! Although, after MANY years of trying different things, tweaking and sometimes getting it wrong with my Mille's. I am now at the point of thinking that, barring an exhaust (as we all need a good sounding exhaust don't we!!) my hard earned would' 100% be spent on handling from here on!! Wheels and suspension tweaks have made a massive difference to my bikes than carbon bling ever did!!

Having said that, making the road "prettier" is addictive!!!

As for the Gen 1 as a package, totally agree that it's more than the majority of us will ever need, especially on the road. Even on track with mine, barring getting mullered down the straights by newer, smaller bikes, it still is better than me......
Go big or go home! ! !

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Wavestarved View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wavestarved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 09:37
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

True, but will probably hate the car and so drive it accordingly. It's just a theory, and has no scientific basis or research to validate it, but it is true.
Stonesie View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stonesie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 12:18
I love tinkering with mine, making sure that it is as sound as it can be. It gives me pride which in turn brings out a bit of show-off so I extend the maintenance to keeping it clean and tidy on the outside too.
It fits in well with not having that much spare cash these days, £200+ parts to change the oil and check my valve clearances, sod off, £60 and I did it myself and I KNOW! its bang on.
w00dzy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w00dzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 12:31
Thats the nail on the head stonesie, If I didn't work on the bike myself I couldn't afford to run such a nice machine! Not in good working order anyway..
blinkey501 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blinkey501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 13:01
I don't have the mille or the RSVR. I own various falco's.
Apart from one bike which should never be modified. I like taking something and making it better.
That in turn gives me time to spend fettling in the garage and get away from the wifeLOL
My latest creation made it as a nominee in the bike of the month for which I am flattered.
Also it helps me learn about the bike I ride Smile
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up.
ForzaApriliaRacing View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
The eprom guy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForzaApriliaRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 10:40
Because we all love it

And regarding speed on the road
A straight line don't count

Lets look at corner speed
On most twisty roads

Even using both sides of the road like we used to years ago
Physics is only allowing you to take any of them corners at a certain speed anyway

This answers the question as to why the gen 1 r is so good
Top handling and suspension

And it's the way the Mille makes its power
That shocks the newer machines

Right where you need it
I would put
My bike up against any of the new stuff
On UK roads
Forza Aprilia Racing
www.forzaapriliaracing.co.uk
Johnboy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 19:40
100% agree with everything you've just said.
You're a passionate biker!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic