rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Brembo caliper overhaul & pad replaceent
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brembo caliper overhaul & pad replaceent

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Cardiff
Status: Offline
Points: 375
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brembo caliper overhaul & pad replaceent
    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 07:46
OK, so I had a leaking fork seal, so its time to replace the pads are they're contaminated, what pads do you suggest as the Brembo originals are ridiculously expensive? 4 pad Brembo caliper. 

I'm going to take the opportunity to strip, clean & replace the seals whilst their off as i'm fitting HEL brake lines at the same time. Again best place to purchase a seal kit, mounting bolts and the bolts that pull the caliper halves together. 
Back to Top
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Location: cannock
Status: Offline
Points: 4065
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 08:46
Bolts I'm not sure about but pads sbs 👍
Back to Top
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 355
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 08:51
Seal kit from here.

https://www.powerhouse.uk

I just cleaned everything up with Cillitbang limescale and grime spray.
It's worth buying some seal picks as well to get into the seal grooves.
Back to Top
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien


Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Location: Weast Yorks
Status: Offline
Points: 662
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 09:48
I'm pretty sure you can get the seals from KTM dealers also but not sure how they'd compare on price, as for the bolts any bolt/fastener supplier will have them, I'll be going over myself to get the very same items later this morning. Pads are more difficult a lot is down to personal preference, riding style, road or track riding etc there are a lot of variables but I agree with post above you can't go wrong with SBS I've had their RS (race sinter) compound in for a while and will be using the same again.
Also  brembo use fine thread banjo bolts so ordering the line kit make sure they don't sent the more common course thread bolts.
Back to Top
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Cardiff
Status: Offline
Points: 375
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 10:28
Thank you gentlemen. Perfect advise!

I'll check out these pads, mainly road riding with the odd track day this year. 
Back to Top
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Cardiff
Status: Offline
Points: 375
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 10:31
Originally posted by budd budd wrote:

As for the bolts any bolt/fastener supplier will have them, I'll be going over myself to get the very same items later this morning. 

I've been looking at pro bolt but my god they're not cheap. 
Back to Top
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 Nov 2015
Location: Northampton
Status: Offline
Points: 2402
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 10:53
Originally posted by Sam.moz86 Sam.moz86 wrote:

Thank you gentlemen. Perfect advise!

I'll check out these pads, mainly road riding with the odd track day this year. 


Thumbs up for SBS from me as well, I use race sinter in mine and I do mainly road with a couple of trackdays and they're great , can wear quite quickly on track though but that's to be expected.
Just be careful where you get them as theres a lot of fakes about on eBay, I always get mine from Russ at Ducati Mondo, usually about £45.00 a set I think.
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
Back to Top
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien


Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Location: Weast Yorks
Status: Offline
Points: 662
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 11:54
Originally posted by Sam.moz86 Sam.moz86 wrote:

Originally posted by budd budd wrote:

As for the bolts any bolt/fastener supplier will have them, I'll be going over myself to get the very same items later this morning.


I've been looking at pro bolt but my god they're not cheap. 


Just been to the bolt shop and they are shut Saturday bugger!! So I'll have to wait till Monday, still got plenty to be getting on with , the pro bolt kits are really nice but not worth the extra imho can't go wrong with an industrial fasten supplier pity they don't open on Saturdays 😬
Back to Top
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member


Joined: 27 Jun 2014
Location: south london
Status: Offline
Points: 706
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 15:02
i done mine last year front and back got the power house stuff and got a set of draper mini picks for a fiver from tool station they do a good job of getting all the crusty stuff out of the grooves and sprayed them using hamerite smooth gold near as dammit match then a clear enamel spray id go for race bolt for what its worth because a lot of places dont sell bolts with shanks on unless you have a look on bay
Back to Top
tapmyhed View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Avatar

Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Location: Suffolk
Status: Offline
Points: 1943
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapmyhed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 16:45
I did mine last year.  New seals, new caliper bolts that hold the halves together and new Radial bolts.

I got my bolts from RaceTi, titanium.

Top tip.....if you go titanium.  titanium and alloy hate each other.  You get bad corrosion, worse than stainless, which is worse than stock.

Build the calipers and torque up new bolts (dry, no grease) to manufacturers settings (You dont need button head, you can use shallow nut head instead).  Mark them.  remove them only one at a time, coat the threads in marine grade anti-sieze....this sh*t is expensive, refit the bolts and tighten to the marks....no further or you will over stress the bolts.  the tightness is in the bolt stretch, not the turning force to make with a torque wrench.

You can turn a greased bolt further than a dry bolt...thats 2 different stress levels.  Greased is something like 20% less force.

for the radial bolts.....the big ones......get a tap and die set and carefully retap/clean the old thread in the leg with the same size thread as before.....these threads really gall up over time.  take it easy and slowly.  then fit the bolts dry, torqu up to 50NM, mark again, then one at a time, remove, grease up and refit to the mark.

after that...use the marks daily to make sure the bolts dont move.....they will settle in OK.

If you dont, next time you remove the titanium......your bring out the alloy thread and ruin the fork leg.


Anyways.....thats what I did.  i'll let you know if I have problems....I also used titaniums on the linkage, and fork leg bottoms.....I like titanium.  :-)
Factory 04
Big Bore Whore
Back to Top
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Cardiff
Status: Offline
Points: 375
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 21:03
Originally posted by tapmyhed tapmyhed wrote:

I did mine last year.  New seals, new caliper bolts that hold the halves together and new Radial bolts.

I got my bolts from RaceTi, titanium.

Top tip.....if you go titanium.  titanium and alloy hate each other.  You get bad corrosion, worse than stainless, which is worse than stock.

Build the calipers and torque up new bolts (dry, no grease) to manufacturers settings (You dont need button head, you can use shallow nut head instead).  Mark them.  remove them only one at a time, coat the threads in marine grade anti-sieze....this sh*t is expensive, refit the bolts and tighten to the marks....no further or you will over stress the bolts.  the tightness is in the bolt stretch, not the turning force to make with a torque wrench.

You can turn a greased bolt further than a dry bolt...thats 2 different stress levels.  Greased is something like 20% less force.

for the radial bolts.....the big ones......get a tap and die set and carefully retap/clean the old thread in the leg with the same size thread as before.....these threads really gall up over time.  take it easy and slowly.  then fit the bolts dry, torqu up to 50NM, mark again, then one at a time, remove, grease up and refit to the mark.

after that...use the marks daily to make sure the bolts dont move.....they will settle in OK.

If you dont, next time you remove the titanium......your bring out the alloy thread and ruin the fork leg.


Anyways.....thats what I did.  i'll let you know if I have problems....I also used titaniums on the linkage, and fork leg bottoms.....I like titanium.  :-)

Cheers for the info Nige, 
With all that in mind I'll probably just go stainless plus the cost of titanium. Are the standard ones Stainless? Mine are in a pretty ugly way. 
Back to Top
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Location: cannock
Status: Offline
Points: 4065
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 21:52
Won't be stainless just cad coated.
Back to Top
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2014
Location: Norwich United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 3499
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 21:57
Thats some top information I didn't know that about titanium bolts. Everyday is a school day
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Back to Top
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member


Joined: 27 Jun 2014
Location: south london
Status: Offline
Points: 706
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 03:14
if you are still after fastners try surplus suplies  i had a look on their sit very their stuff cost pence instead of pounds
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.